Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone besides me take a beating on a sled and not know when to stop? Ive been working on redoing the storm the last couple of months. It seems like every thing that could have went wrong has. About the only thing that has not been fixed,replaced, or repainted is the hood and the jack shaft. I am making a lot of progress but it has cost quite a bit more than originally planned. By the time I realized it I was too far in to stop. I would have never dumped this much money into it had I known what I was getting into but I guess you learn as you go. It should be a beast and a little more reliable when I'm done though![:D]

The upgrades
Xtra ten suspension
New 1" Hacksaw track
Bored to 800 cc's
Polished exhaust ports
It was all ready clutched

I also blasted and repainted pretty much every steel part on the sled. All new bearings, seals, gaskets,mounts, and bushings. Cleaned the aluminum parts as best as I could. At least I will have personal satisfaction with it when I am done.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm not sure its going to be more reliable after you bored out the engine, but it should be a lot faster!

You may need to change the clutching to compensate for the increased HP. take it for a ride and see how it feels, but if I'm right, you won't feel the true power of the sled unless you correctly tune the clutch by changing the spring and weights. Hopefully someone who is a bit more knowledgeable in this area of sleds can add to this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the ccs wont give me much power but it was a lot cheaper to get 800 pistons than to try to find or pay polaris price for the 750 pistons. It will make more power just for the fact that my top end had seen its better days. There was .013 clearance between the one old cylinder and piston and it still ran pretty strong. And it should not make my reliability worse because all you are doing is making the piston hole a bit bigger aside from that you are not changing much. I did talk to the machine shop today and he got my new pistons within 1 gram of each other. Thats a few metal shavings. Pretty good IMO. Heres a pic of it so far. Trailing arm on that side is new, its just dirty and the other one is repainted and looks just like the new one. Decided not to paint the shocks or skis because I plan on getting new shocks next year and plastic skis. I may throw some rustoleum on the skis for this winter to make it look good for a ride or two.

2010111923646126_31490.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts