Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to ride this weekend and it was my first time with an MX Helmet and goggles. I have the Scott 89xi turbos with the rose lenses and they were awesome.

Does anyone ride with a back pack? If so, who makes a good one for snowmobiling?

·
Super Moderator
11,679 Posts
Glad you liked the MX/goggle setup. I've had mine for a few seasons now, and will probably never go back to my fullface.

As far as a pack I'd say FLY or HMK are two good companies for them. I've heard great comments about both.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'll never go back to full face after wearing a mx helmet this year.

like Quinlan said HMK and FLY are pretty good.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
check the mountain riding section for backpacks. there is a recent post on there about them. I used to just have a camel pack with small storage. I just ordered the Dakine Heli pro and have heard good things about it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have always wanted to try MX Helmet and goggles but never had the chance... Like my full face for warmth but usually have to leave the shield cracked so I don't fog. Always wondered how you stay warm with the open face but figured it was tougher to fog up the lenses... So how do you stay warm and are they good with fog or why do you guys like them vs. full face?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have worn an mx style helmet for probably the last three years and some ways I keep warm is to just wear a balaclava and a no fog you should be able to find them pretty much wherever helmets are sold

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Originally posted by krappana
[br] So how do you stay warm and are they good with fog or why do you guys like them vs. full face?
You stay warm by wearing a Baclava underneath it and even a breath deflector will help a bit. If you already ride with your shield cracked a bit (like I usually do when wearing the full face) you won't notice all that much of a difference in temps. As long as it isn't bitterly cold out you will be ok. The goggles cover much of your face, the baclava and helmet cover a good chunk of your face as well.

I like wearing it for a few reasons. I actually like the cool air on the face, if you are riding hard it helps to keep you a bit cooler and not sweating. Makes it easier to talk to the other riders and I also think that I can see and hear better with the open face vs the full face. One downside is that if you are on the trails a lot other sled will often throw up ice and debris as they pass by you in the opposite direction. An ice chunk to an exposed part of the face could sting a bit!!!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I have the same goggles. 89xi turbo quickstrap with the rose lens. Very nice and warm goggles.

As for the pack, I don't think you can go wrong with one from tekrider. www.tekrider.com

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the info Shoeless Joe... I think I will buy one the next time I need an extra helmet and then I can use the full face in extreme cold and the MX in warmer weather... All the mountain riders in the video's all seem to wear them... there must be some advantage at least for the powder riders?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Originally posted by krappana
[br]Thanks for the info Shoeless Joe... I think I will buy one the next time I need an extra helmet and then I can use the full face in extreme cold and the MX in warmer weather... All the mountain riders in the video's all seem to wear them... there must be some advantage at least for the powder riders?
You don't ride with an MX helmet do you? Buy a mask from here http://www.katahdingear.com/face_masks.htm, get an MX helmet, and buy a pair of 89xi turbo goggles. You'll never need your other helmet. I was out riding a couple days ago, -5 degrees, and my face was pretty warm.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nope... always had the full face helmet. So the advantages are no fogging, better seeing and hearing and talking? Doesn't seem worth it... ha! Kidding... Sounds like my next lid will be MX style...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have ridden to about -15 f and if you get a neck warmer with your bacalava you can scrunch it up to plug the gap between your neck and helmet making it nice and toasty. The breath guard helps too.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
First I tried the MX Helmet- never went back
Then I tried the MX pants... warm as the snowpants... never going back.. all in all I have multi-seasonal clothing :D

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
MX helmets don't fog? The only time mine ever fog up is when it's -0, and I come into my 75 degree house.

·
Registered
302 Posts
when i wear my mx helmet my glasses seem to be the only thing that fogs up on me does anyone know how i could help keep that from happening?? it also just usually happens when i stop for a bit.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
well good to see you like ti, i have used my mx helmet and goggles for years now and i love them better than the full face. and as for the pack, look into the fly back country pack. it has the water pouch and it pretty big, i like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts