Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 MXZ 440, twin. It has the RAVE exhaust valve setup. I think it was the first or second year that Bombardier came out with that innovation.

My question is, should this be taken apart and cleaned, inspected, adjusted at some point? Sled runs fine but my dealer hasnt touched this thing in the last 4 years. Is it one of those things that you "leave well enough alone" if it runs fine or should you tear it apart and clean, inspect, etc.

What are (all) your thoughts?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Ski-doo had no issues with the valves sticking or adjustment. Just use a good quality 2 stroke oil. I have had no dealings with the rave system. Call a dealer and get a service book for your model. This will help the most.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow a man of many talents, posting thru several forums!!! Gotta like it!!
I use 100% synthetic oil so I dont suspect a problem, I'm just relatively new on the RAVE setup.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^^I had 2 buddys/co-workers who had them back in the late 90's. They stomped be pretty good.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Never touched a RAVE valve on my old formula plus's or Mach. I took my RAVE valves apart this summer on my MXZ. They looked a lil dirty and where sticking just a bit, more then my taste would allow. However I have 4,780 miles on my sled and its never been touched, besides storage prep etc.

I have a sheet with RAVE valve cleaning how too. Very easy just pull to valves off and clean them up with a light wire wheel to get the hard deposits off and what not..

·
Registered
32 Posts
WOW.... NOTHING AGAINST THE GUYS ON HERE, BUT IF YOUR NEW TO SKIDOO HEAD OVER TO WWW.DOOTALK.COM YOU WILL FIND ENDLES HOURS OF READING ON ANY QUESTION EVER, I CLEAN MY RAVE TWICE A YEAR, TAKES 20 MINUTES PER CYLINDER, IF ITS NOT DONE IT CAN RUN LEAN AND CAUSE FALURE, OR IF YOUR VALVE STARTS TO GET DAMAGED IT CAN CAUSE FALURE, AND PLUS THE ADJUSTABLE EXHUAST VALVES ARE ONE OF THE BEST THINGS TO HAPEN TO SNOWMOBILING, CLEAN THEM OFTEN, MAY NOT NEED IT BUT MAKES IT EASIER AND RUNS BETTER!!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
No fuss, Ive never heard of issue with the valves. I've been riding ski-doo all my life and never touched a valve, even at 5000+ miles. Run a good oil... one for valves or a synthetic and you dont have much to worry about. The only way to damage a valve is by not having it adjusted right causing it to come incontact with another metal part.

The only reason I touched the Raves on my MXZ was because I had some crappy gaskets and I ended up cleaning them while everything was apart. They looked fine black and dirty from oil which is normal, and a few hard deposits on the ends from the exhuast. Nothing I hadn't expected to see from 4780 miles.

I've heard more issue with Polaris Exhaust valves from not being cleaned etc.

You'll find ski-doos Rave to be some what better, however thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
To bad Polaris's system was more like that.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think you should pull your RAVE's apart every year. If they are clean, great. If not, clean them. Either way you know they are ok.
Very easy and quick to do. Just like cleaning your carbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts