Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a '96 MXZ 583 and was curious as to how it compaires to other sleds out there in terms of acceleration, cornering, comfort, ect. Thanks.

bt

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your question cries for more info. What kind of condition? Miles? Engine mods and/or rebuild? Clutched? Track? Shock rebuild? And most importantly, what do you want to compare it to?
Compared to current ('02 or '01) 600's it's a little slow, has a quite a bit of inside ski lift, and rides a little harsh. However, compared to other '96 600's, it's fairly quick, and handles and rides above average. One of my buddies is a Ski-doo mechanic and claims that the 583 can be a nasty little sled when properly tuned and clutched. Bottom line, if you like it, who cares how it compares on paper?! Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride.

TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by six4aTD:

Your question cries for more info. What kind of condition? Miles? Engine mods and/or rebuild? Clutched? Track? Shock rebuild? And most importantly, what do you want to compare it to?
Compared to current ('02 or '01) 600's it's a little slow, has a quite a bit of inside ski lift, and rides a little harsh. However, compared to other '96 600's, it's fairly quick, and handles and rides above average. One of my buddies is a Ski-doo mechanic and claims that the 583 can be a nasty little sled when properly tuned and clutched. Bottom line, if you like it, who cares how it compares on paper?! Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride.

TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT![/quote]

It's got about 1,500 miles and is in excelent shape. I don't think that there are any mods nor is it a rebuild. BTW, how do you go about 'clutching' a snowmobile? Thanks.

bt

·
Registered
95 Posts
BT WOT, Let me check on this with my buddy who is a Ski-doo mechanic. He builds race engines and also deals in used trail sleds. I'll try to get some advice as to what things could be done to keep it trail ridable, but increase track HP without spending an arm & a leg.

TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by six4aTD:

BT WOT, Let me check on this with my buddy who is a Ski-doo mechanic. He builds race engines and also deals in used trail sleds. I'll try to get some advice as to what things could be done to keep it trail ridable, but increase track HP without spending an arm & a leg.

Thanks man.

bt

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry I haven't gotten anything posted. That mechanic has been swamped getting ready for back to back weekends of racing. At Eagle River his engines got a first, 2 seconds, and a third. Last week, 4 firsts! He knows what to do--I just have to catch him when he has time to talk.

TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sorry I haven't gotten anything posted. That mechanic has been swamped getting ready for back to back weekends of racing. At Eagle River his engines got a first, 2 seconds, and a third. Last week, 4 firsts! He knows what to do--I just have to catch him when he has time to talk.

Damn.....he must be one hell of a mechanic.
We did 150 miles today and when we were out there some dude pulled up on me on a MXZ 600 at about 35 mph. We both gunned it and he DUSTED me. Someone told me that he's a mechanic and has more mods than you can shake a stick at. No one knows exactly what he had under the hood but I'm guessing he had pipes, jetting, clutch work, track, and who knows what else. That gave me a good goal as far as performance goes. If I ever talk to him I'll find out exactly what he has.

bt

·
Registered
95 Posts
Again, I apologize for taking so long. I got a chance to touch base with my mechanic and he said he'd have to see what you had for a current set up. But, according to him a MXZ 583 can be very quick in fairly stock form. He said number 1 is to make sure clutches have been torn apart and thoroughly cleaned (it has to be shifting out right). He claims they were clutched fairly well stock. Next is to adjust suspension so limiter strap is a little on the loose side so it will transfer the weight. After that traction is the issue. He likes 1 1/4" paddle tracks but studs may also do the trick. On top of this is clean carbs and proper jetting. A little rich is OK, but too rich will really limit performance.
If these little tune-ups don't do what you want, then he likes to pull the heads and "mic" out the engine so he can change the base gasket and shave the heads. I don't know much about this so would need to ask more info. With this process he adds a boost bottle to equalize pressure in his cylinders, which calls for re-jetting. This in turn may require steeper ramps in the clutches and ??
Sorry I can't help more. Good luck!

TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts