Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has a 2002 800 MXZ RER, Twin, just purchased from a dealer in the Detroit area USED and it so happends that the low level oil light does not work. We find this out a little to late (reason for the posting) Was looking to switch oils the reason for not adding more oil, Stupid at this poit! Well not good news here, it appears that the oil light on my dash doesn’t work. While waiting for it to come on before I filled the reservoir I managed to run it dry. It didn’t seize and it still runs but, there is no power and when I pull the right bank plug (Right bank while sitting on the machine, left if you are looking at the sled from the front) it stalls, when I pull the other plug it continues to run. After I run it for a few minutes and pull the left bank plug STEAM rolls out (meaning water problem) so, I pulled the head and can not see anything wrong with it and the head gaskets are just the rubber bands going around the cylinder and the outer edge of the head to keep the water in. Thought maybe you might know someone who would have an idea if I should just try new gaskets first or pull the jugs too. We can get a new head, both jugs and pistons through eBay for about $120.00. Does anyone have any ideas? I have not looked at the pistons for scoring as of yet? PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!! DOES ANYONE have a direction? KOW

Ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
well first id try some new plugs if u havent , running out of oil is a problem though if she wemt dry u could have started a real chain of events.no oil 4 your bearings, seals or pistons would produce a lot of heat and mabey ruin a gasket, that could be why your getting steam, but make sure its not just smoke.If my oil light didnt work id sugest going back to the dealer even without warrenty sometines they will cover half the cost of repair and will probley look at the problem 4 free.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do a compression test to see if there was any ring damage. Next bleed your oil pump, if you got an air bubble in the system (which usually happens when you run it dry), the pump won't pump oil.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To all - i thought i had written since this happened but looking at this i did not. Hear waS the culprit. The MXZ has a reset on the gauges on the dash area and from what we hear the black knob or reset switch sometimes does not pop back out after resetting. Also if the knob sticks in ALL the illumanation for gauges BACK LITE does not work also. After messing with SAID button it did however pop back out and low and behold all illumanation worked and the NO OIL or LOW oil light actually works. His mistake for not looking at the level more closely. However he did purchase two pistons, rings, etc and back together with in a week and runs much better. So persons with the MXZ style of reset buttons WATCH YOUR SWITCHES for fully returning. KOW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts