Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 mxz 583 that has dim lights. Every light is dim but the sled runs great. I have two yellow wires and a black and a white wire coming out of the stator. The yellow wire has 3.5 volts on it when runnning. Does anyone have a schematic for this sled?

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should have about 12.4 volts. Deffinitely a short some place. check all wireing around moving parts and connectors. check by the fuses for worn wire and where the hood lifts the wires there may be rubbing..[8D]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already checked all the wiring and connectors, seem fine. I only see one ground, a brown wire near the base of the engine. I did a voltage drop on it and it is fine. I do not see any fuses. Does this sled have fuses??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Your voltage regulator is shot.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yup ACMan is on the money, 100$ and your good to go. Voltage regulator.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yep; just did this on my '99 583; voltage regulator. Buy the skidoo one; it'll cost you more but Kimpex has a bad reputation when it comes to electronics and there's no return on these parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the input...yes it has hand warmers, but even when there off the lights are very dim. I will try the regulator..(cheaper than a stator) I'll let ya know

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yup I'd bet my left arm thats your problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well losing your left arm would be better than the right in most cases......

First though, try cleaning all the connections before you go and spend that much on a regulator. Are they really $100?

You can also test the voltage at say, the headlight wiring to see the output. Then you have an idea.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah I don't really need the left [:D] They are 100$ Canadian funds... But I still say that all you need is the volatage regulator.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There's a way to test the voltage regulator before you buy a new one. There's a step-by-step in my Clymer manual. PM me if you want me to forward it to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts