Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought it. I'm just giddy!!! Real pictures and movies coming soon (going to MI on Thursday).

/snofan/../images/users/nnonix/03snodeep700sks_actnxx.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any news from Ironwood MI?? *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
do you plan on doing any upgrades to your sled?i just got a 03 sks also got 320 miles on her already and no problems

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a bad-from-factory clutch which I had replaced (warranty). It would not release all the way and was dragging down the engine at idle. I've added the yellow Pro-X style reinforcers to the running boards (cuz I'm a big guy and like to go VERT!!! It also looks very nice) and a yellow belley skid. I've thought about pipes (but then I loose VES). As it is .. I think I'll leave it alone until I have more miles on it. I'm going to keep this sled for awhile so we'll see about other mods.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. This sled water-skips SOOOO nice!!! I did some skipping on cannon lake (big open spot). I was VERY impressed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one set of pipes I looked at made that claim. I'm ashamed to say it, but I haven't researched VES enough to know the extent of the system yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Club recently had a radar run on the lake. Since my sled was new and still in the break-in period I decided to run, but using no more then 3/4 throttle. I ran 84.6 in the quarter mile (again, 3/4 throttle only). You must also factor in that I'm a BIG boy.

As far as handling goes, I JUST (tonight) got back from Ironwood MI where I put on about 450 miles. About 100 of them were breaking new trails through the woods for the other sleds in my group (24"+ of fresh powder ... whee!!!). The rest were on the trails. It handles GREAT, no push (do to the shorter trailing arms and the dual carbides on each ski). Suspension is WONDERFUL. I can't say enough. Lots of people stopped and looked at my sled when I was stopped. It was just a killer trip ... and I would highly recomend one. Schwing!!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
ive had my 03 sks 700 up to 115 and had to slow down i bet it will get up to 120 if you push it long enough..on a old 1/4 mile strip probably more like 1/2 mile ive had it up to like 111 or 112 something like that i dont remember but that was according to the speedo the it handles great over bumps better than any out there that ive seen so far untill you blow the shock lol which i did after going to fast and hard over bumps blowing by the new mountain cat because the sled couldnt handle the bumps at that speed,mine pushes hard in the corner because of the 370 lug studs i have but after cranking the presure on the ski springs it steers alright but then its a rough ride im getting a a couple pair of 8 inch carbides for it then it should be great..im very pleased with the sled and would recomend it too

·
Registered
92 Posts
[red][red]Question For you 2003 SKS 700 Owners??? [/red]I am Thinking of trading my 2003 PRO X 700 For a 2003 SKS 700. I am a very aggresive trail rider/Snowcross racer. I Trail ride in the UP of Michigan. I have never rode a long track sled on a trail! How is this 2003 SKS 700 sled on the trails and in corners? Anything about the SKS would be awesome or any thoughts / info would be great. [blue][/blue] Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, coming from a 03 ProX you will loose some front suspension travel with the SKS. You will also probably notice a bit slower acceleration (the long track is a heavier track).

As far as riding in the U.P. goes. I just got back from there. Rode 400+ miles, over 100 of which were breaking new trails through the woods. The SKS handles the nastiest of trails without thinking twice (I drove most of the trails with one hand). It corners without any noticable push (unless you stud the hell out of the track) and will take you uphill better then anything I've been on.

The best is in the powder. Being able to push through snow so deep its coming up over the hood, then stop on an uphill grade and then take off again is wonderful.

I can't say enough about it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I traded the 2003 Pro X for the 2003 SKS. Im going to ride it this weekend and put it thru the tests. Man it looks pissed off just sitting in the garage, I love it!!!! I havent even rode it yet. Should I put the V force 3 reeds and MBRP race can on it??? I have all the parts on the bench from my Pro X. I was also thinking of putting heavier weights (10.64) and a EPI yellow spring in the primary clutch to bring up the engament. The Gearing seems to be steep on paper?? Im going to ride it in stock form this weekend, then go crazy with it. Ill let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, it just looks naughty! Its also easy to find in the parking lot. Just look for the sled with the ASS end sticking up the highest.

Don't be surprised if you come out of the gas station to find a group of people standing there looking at it. Happened to me many times in the U.P. of Michigan.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im back from the U.P. of Michigan. 300 mile ride. The SKS was great!!! It pushes a little in the corners but when you throttle it up and slide the ass end its fine. It rides like a cadillac compared to the 2002 Pro X 700 Mod sled we have. I pulled into a gas station and people were all over it. They didnt even look twice at the Mod sled we had there. I launched the sled at the track in Newberry and cleared the double (60' footer). The table top I didnt quite make it, but it flew thru the air ok. My motocross skills came into play having to adjust it in the air. Its awesome in the powder, The front end dives into the snow like crazy when you let off the throttle, but When grabbing throttle again it floats back to the top with out a problem. Is this normal or should I give the front shocks more preload?? A couple of people asked what SKS stands for? anyone know???

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
id adjust the pre-load on the springs make them firmer it might help..if you plan on doing alot of jumping get your rear shock revalved for a more aggressive ride i blew mine on my 03 sks after jumping it.sks stands for "snow king special"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Firmer pre load in the front for powder ridding to stop the diving?? I stared to remove the shocks last night for a rebuild. it doesnt rebound fast enough over the bumps.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts