Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my sled a year ago, when I fist bought it didn't burn barley any oil, now its burning oil like craze and its hard to start, once worm runs ok.I changed the head gaskets last summer because of blow in head gasket. The person I bought the sled from changed the piston the year before and didn't torque the head bolts, so resulting in blow in heads. So any way I was thinking maybe when I changed the head gaskets the coolant that was in the motor maybe burned the rings.If any one has any ideas let me know!!!! THANK YOU
Nothing but problem so fare with this sled!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
When you did engine work, did you take cable off of oil pump? I have seen guys hook up oil pump in unwound position and operate it in reverse which dumps the oil into sled as pump is full on. I fixed a 98 xc 700 a few weeks ago like this.

Check compression if you are worried, may be high with the oil saturated cylinders.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
thinkno knows his stuff.. id look for that, and its weird your havin problems, my 02 has been nothing but unreal for me.. what size cc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bj.hardy said:
thinkno knows his stuff.. id look for that, and its weird your havin problems, my 02 has been nothing but unreal for me.. what size cc?
My sled is the same as yours except mine is a 600

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinksno said:
When you did engine work, did you take cable off of oil pump? I have seen guys hook up oil pump in unwound position and operate it in reverse which dumps the oil into sled as pump is full on. I fixed a 98 xc 700 a few weeks ago like this.

Check compression if you are worried, may be high with the oil saturated cylinders.
It was running awesome before the head blow, after I changed it I noticed it was smoking real bad, at first I thought it was just the coolant in the motor but its been 4 months now. I did int remove nothing relay except the head,and spark plug wires. Do you think if there was coolant in the cylinders it could damage the rings?

·
Registered
807 Posts
In first post you said it was burning oil, is that measured by how much it uses in oil tank or by the exhaust smoke? I assumed it was by how much oil it uses.

If you meant by how much smoke then yes it could be burning coolant and if so you need to fix it. Usually by the time a coolant leak damages rings it has damaged crank bearings. Items to consider:

1. Did you follow proper torque sequence, possibly head is warped from last owner's poor install.

2. It is burning oil- maybe you are not using correct injection oil??

3. Rent / borrow an auto coolant pressure tester with foreign car adapter and test for a 13 psi system. Has coolant level been dropping?

4. pull the two case drain plugs located on bottom half of case below VES valves. If coolant comes out you have a problem. If lots of fuel comes out you have dirt in carbs or a damaged needle seat assembly.

5. Check compression, should be 115 min.

6. Check plugs, are they wet with oil or super clean from coolant. Do you smell coolant?

That's all I got.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another thing to note, if your getting clouds of blue smoke:
These oil pumps will fail wide open, I had to replace one on my 600, doesn't smoke as much now.
Check the "lines" on your oil pump and adjust so that they line up perfectly at idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts