Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first snowmobile, a 1980 Yamaha Enticer 340. When it idles it sort of putses around like its missing. What might the problem be? New spark plugs maybe? Also on the left hand side there is a switch that says high on top and low on bottom, what is this switch for? thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
welcome to the site, put this post under general or Yamaha

·
Registered
213 Posts
the switch is prolly for hand warmers lights and u prolly need to check your fire on the coil maybe its not firing on one side all the time and plugs would help

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got the same machine. It ran rough till I pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning. Twice. Make sure to get some shop air and blow out all those passages real well. Mine runs good now till I go on any kind of incline then it dies. Still can't get any help with that one. Make sure to pull the filter out of the gas tank. It's on the end of a hose that goes into the tank. Get a new one. Mine sat for 6 years so everything was gummed up nice. I changed the fuel pump too and it worked smoother. When it runs it tops out at 130 kph with two guys on it. A real blast for an older machine. Good luck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah. The switch is for headlight. And Coil and Carb are Typical. Clean the carb, and put in new plugs. If still bad, Then A coil is pretty cheap and easy. Exciter 340s are a really neat little sled to putter around on. And they are Fast for a 340!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same sled.[:D] i love it! i put a new belt on mine and it goes!! it is an awesome sled..it doesnt respond too well in deep snow but it flies in the light stuff![:p]

·
Registered
593 Posts
sterios i know this aint your post but for that problem with th incline and your sled dying check your jets cuz my wildcat did that and it was the jets my cousins enticer did that too it was the jets(he has a 81 tho) but you might wanna get the jets checked out

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey indy488 thanks for the tip. What do you mean by check them out though? I've cleaned them several times and they look good. Sorry to highjack this post but maybe the original poster has the same problem? hee hee

·
Registered
155 Posts
You guys its not a big deal.. if you go on an incline and it dies, your floats are off. Its not a big deal. Maybe your hangers got bent while rebuilding. Or maybe the fuel pickup line in the tank is off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts