Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachment=51895]
the sled is a 2000 xcf 440 fan that i setup for ice racing, it has been lowered with different shocks and rear skid, i have 240 ice picks in a light weight track with 10" sharp carbides, the motor is a 2002 with shaved heads, balanced and shaved pistons, cylinders are ported and polished, carbs are bored, the exhaust is a 2002 pipe the is completely rapped in heat tape to keep the pipe from cooling, it also have a roller secondary clutch and titanium jackshaft. clutching and jetting depends on the day but is extremely fast for a fan.
in a 1000 feet on ice it run 87.7 mph and top speed was 101.3 mph on a radar gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i built the sled for the pro fan 600 class but have run it in the 500, 600 liquid class on a short lemans track took first in the 500 class and 3rd in the 600 class. is very competitive with the liquids on a short track and as far as classes most of the races i've been at there is a class for pretty much any sled.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
holy crap, 101 out of a fanner. Thats impressive.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
thats sick, nice to see a prox fan ice racing definetly something ive never seen.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Cool, you don't have to worry about plumbing in a radiator, then.

What circuit do you race in?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the sled mostly gets raced in the local lake races because there is not to many ice races around unless you want to race oval and i not really interested in oval racing.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
thats wicked

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by proiceracer
[br]the sled mostly gets raced in the local lake races because there is not to many ice races around unless you want to race oval and i not really interested in oval racing.
I do not know where you are from, but there used to be a ice le mans race near Braham, MN. Pretty tight track the year I saw it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
id like to see the radar readout for that. with the engine work you have done even still thats an awfully high number over 100mph ice or not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any day you what to see come to minnesota and i'll gladly show you, i'll make a special trip to the lake and you can bring your 440 liquid and see if you can even keep up.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
That is pretty cool.

92xcr440: There are TONS of gains to be had on setting a sled up for ice. Our big lugs and big suspension travel absolutely kill top end. Lowered suspension, optimized gearing, narrower/lighter tracks, lube systems for slides... The pro-stock 440's are running ~100mph in 1000ft for the liquids. With a long lake I can see a fanner hitting 100 if set up well.

·
Registered
450 Posts
oh i can believe it. but put that 440 fan on snow and theres no way it'd run with my sled its just not possible. i understand this being on ice for 2miles with picks but how long does it take to get there?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by andrewthefreerider
[br]im pretty sure a 440 can not go 103 mph, your 440 fan is running upwards of 56 hp stock, so maybe not buddy
the other sled on the trailer is bone stock and will still run 92 mph. so it is very possible for it to run over 100 mph with mods done to it.
Wahl brothers had a fan that would run 90 mph before the first corner at eagle river.

i've been around snowmobiles my whole life, my dad worked for polaris for 25 years, so if you know what your doing it is very possible to see speeds like that out of a fan.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Originally posted by 92XCR440
[br]oh i can believe it. but put that 440 fan on snow and theres no way it'd run with my sled its just not possible. i understand this being on ice for 2miles with picks but how long does it take to get there?
Thats because you are comparing completely different styles of sleds.

[br]im pretty sure a 440 can not go 103 mph, your 440 fan is running upwards of 56 hp stock, so maybe not buddy
why not? top speed is not determined by just engine size alone. Change the gearing and you could reach 103mph anyday...might take a while but 'i'm pretty sure a 440 CAN go 103mph'

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Hehe:
Improved Stock 440
Janna Grussendorf Polaris 1995 XCR 440 106.142* World Record

how about that for 1000ft run on a liquid sled?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted by ripperd
[br]
Hehe:
Improved Stock 440
Janna Grussendorf Polaris 1995 XCR 440 106.142* World Record

how about that for 1000ft run on a liquid sled?
haaaha funny well yah a liquid will go much faster, it significantly increases the hp, but a fan at 103mph? i dunno by then a fan engine must be melting through the plastic around it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts