Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this is my first tripple , and what a nightmare.. 3 carbs (3 diferent carbs at that) tripple pipes . a 5500 engagement.
man this was a mean setup ,
now i have 3 identical carbs with 45 pilot 280 mains @ 1.5 turns out and a 4200 engagement.

... I have one question . what does an engine running low on compression act like. just curious since i've checked everything i can think of .

Now the sled has top end but not that much, low to mid ???
its hard to start , fouls plugs . backfires .
when its running its ok but when i give it gas there's no response. but by feathering the choke it kicks in. anything above 5000 is fine.

anything anybody has to say from experience or ideas would be greatly apreciated ,

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
If Feathering the choke is helping it, most likely means your running a little lean on the idle side. By flipping the choke on your giving it more gas. Just my thought.

Oh and the sled is very nice lookin. You have the exact flames i have been planning to put on my XLT.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
sweet lookin sled man..gotta love that triple triple sound!

·
Registered
637 Posts
280's w/ triple pipes...!? you are tooo lean..! are you running 38mm rounds or are they bored out..!?

If you gutted your airbox you wanna use a 320 in the PTO and 310 in the centre and MAG..
if you still have the foam and stuff in your airbox.. run a 310 in the PTO and 300 centre and MAG. and run a 6DH4 needle in the 3rd position..

What do you have for a clutch setup.?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so far 280's have been the best i've found . they only affect the top end anyways , and when i'm testing the top end the plugs turn nice and brown, the airbox is still full . It goes way lean with it gutted but worked well with 320's allaround .

for the pilot jets theire # 45's , when i got the sled originaly it had (from clutch to mag.)

280 ,50 pilot 3rd noch on the needle valve cuttaway is 3 mm /

center
320, 55 pilot top notch (leanest) .5 air jet on the ventury side.
3mm cuttaway

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 rd is the same as the first carb..

what do you guys recomend ?

for the pipes . airbox. jets , neeedle clip position. air screw mixture...

thanks
mekanix

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Cool paint!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
You can get away w/ 280's and 45's between 0 and +20 if your airbox is stock..

Here's where you wanna be at EGT wise..
1/4 Throttle - 900-1000 degrees
1/2 Throttle - 1100-1150 degrees
3/4 Throttle - 1200-1250 degrees
Full Throttle - 1300-1350 degrees

I love the look of your coated pipes and flames too.. I just sold my 650.. it was a great sled for a lot of years..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks , i couldn't find any info for the egt anywhere.

So far i have the entire sled in pieces for a complete rebuild .

I tested the compression just to see and i got 120, 125, 90 mag side

so i decided to look for 3 jugs and pistons , I supose i could use mine but, one for sure is bored to .5 , and thats the biggest in the book for that model.

I might be able to trade my set plus some $$$ and get a half decent set.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anybody have a recomendtion . for piston brands , kimpex, wiseco... and what can i bore this thing too ,. so far I have 2 stock and one which is 2 oversise according to the kimpex book which is the bigest i have found.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Whatever pistons you choose. Have them coated by swaintech coatings. A must for modified engines.[:)]

·
Registered
443 Posts
i would go with wiesco...thats what i got in my indy 500....they run really good in the polaris engines.....and if ur sled is has no low end torque ussually u need a carb rebuild or adjustment or u need a rebuild in the engine...my indy 500 was following plugs all the time and so i rebuilt the motor and the problem went away and also i had a lot more lower end torque...u might need to rebuilt ur lower end in your engine too...Might want to get it looked at before u blow it up like mine did.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts