Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to get more performance out of my 1997 indy 500. Dont get me wrong it has plenty but i can always use more and I like working on sleds. I am only 15 so I might need some help. This is what some of the options I have found so far.

Slp Twin Pipes (cant find them any where for sale tho)
Aaen Single Pipe
Clutch Kit
UFO's

and probably some more I cant think of.. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Clutch Kit, Clutch Kit, Clutch Kit. Those 500's respond very well to a clutch kit. Personally I would go with Erlandson Performance. I have yet to hear anything bad about them regarding polaris parts. But keep in mind if you want to do more to your sled, you should do the other mods first so that the clutch kit can be taylored to the other upgrades you may install. Personally I dont believe in UFO's wether it be the flying ones of the little plastic ones that fit inside your carb.
I know other people disagree but its just my opinion. If these did work as well as they claim i personally think the MFG would have spent the whole $0.25 it costs to make them and have them installed right from the factory. Mikuni specializes in carbs, i would like to think they have done their homework on this and decided they werent of any real advantage for the consumer model sleds. Also depending on the type of performance you are looking for, you may also want to consider regearing. But in my opinion, a good clutch kit is where you will see the biggest gain. Snowmobiles lose most of your horsepower in the clutching/drivetrain area... i believe you only transfer between 50-60% of the engines horsepower to the ground, and a good clutch kit will help get the most you can to the ground.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will just go with the Earlandson Clutch kit, I didnt know about the UFO's either but I believe I am going to try and fit some Keihn Carbs out of an xc 500 on my Indy. My Indy has good top end, We rebuilt the top end and put some Hi Performance Pistons in and messed around with some things and it ran with my dads xc 500 till the very end untill his blew up. I think I will gear down a tooth and try getting some extra tourqe does that sound like a good plan? Is there anything else you can think of that might help, I think im going to forget about pipeing it for now i herd that the pipes dont really help on this sled. What about putting some air filters like kick ass airfilters or K and N? or somepeople say gutting the air box is better, any help on this? Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean Mikuni Carbs out of the XC they are flatslide should help my sled out?

·
Registered
277 Posts
First clutch it. Go with Erlandson or better yet, I'll give you my combo. A 40-36 helix with a Polaris blue secondary spring or Erlandson yellow, the yellow will give you faster backshifting. In the primary go with a Erlandson white, this will get the revs up on take off but will shift out the same. If you want to gear it down, go down 1 tooth on the top or go up 2 teeth on the bottom. Dont waste your money on a single pipe. IF you put twins on it, just jet it on the safe side, but like you said, try and find a pair. As for the UFO's, dont waste your money. The time spent to make the sled run better but at the same time not suck your fuel tank dry with the UFO's will drive you crazy. Trust me on this. Unless you know someone who put them in your specific model sled and can give you the info, forget it. The money and time you will spend with them and what you will actually gain, is like nil. Good luck.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright With your Clutch Setup will that be better then if I buy a kit? I wouldnt need weights?

I am going to Gear down 1 to increase the tourque and hopefully not lose to much in the high end.

I found a pair of SLP twin pipes on Ebay that came of a 1990 Indy 500, would the fit my 97?

And last, how much do you think switching to the Flatslide carbs will help?

Sorry for so many questions but I am only 15 and am still trying to learn!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm pretty certain the pipes would not fit. Your better off finding the proper pipes since they are tuned to the machine. As far as the carbs, you could spend awhile getting them tuned in. If you have experience in jetting and the proper jets you can try it. You will have to jet it richer if put the twin pipes on anyway. But if money is an issue and you want to ride go with the clutch kit and save some money to take care of your suspension. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I just wanted to point out that clutching can be a little tricky for a beginner. Also clutch kits can work differntly dpending on the wieght of the driver, how they ride, and other variables. I just wanted to say that clutching canbe more of a personalized thing when you get into making custom kits.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
correct me if im wrong but the 1990 indy is the old wedge chassisand the 97 is the newer one so im guessing the pipes will not fit without modification the the belly pan but i could be wrong

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I do relize that clutching can be tricky but I also have my dad that can help me, he knows how to do it all, but i just want to do as much as I can. The pipes I dont think I am going to pipe it until next year right now Im just gona get the clutch kit and gear down a tooth in the top gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts