Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pulled my suspension out and took my shock in to get it rebuilt ... when iwas putting in the last bolt it turned sideays all of a sudden and started going in crooked. now all the other 3 bolts are out but i can't get that last one out no matter what i do ... it is the brake side front. anyone know what exactly i did and how i canget it out??!!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Put the bolt back in on the other side. It is a common shaft right. Sounds like it is still tight.

Tighten the other side and then try to loosen the problem one, then loosen the first one you put in. They can be a pain sometimes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
^^^^^ if you have trouble with that method try this:

Thread a nut all the way onto a bolt and then put the bolt and nut into the other end of the shaft. Use the nut to lock the bolt to the shaft and then you can hold the shaft from turning with a wrench. Once the trouble bolt is out, unlock the nut and you are good to go. Hope that is clear. it seems a bit wordy to me. lol

Trev

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^I'll have to try that one next time.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i know u cant get one out without the other one to hold it in ... i threaded the other side back in when i was working on it and tighted it down tight then put a wrench on it to hold it ... then i went back to the trouble side ... i could turn it but when i did it just loosed the other bolt back out ... its not bad ... i called a polaris shop and they said it proubly cross threaded in there and is stuck so they said to put an impact wrench on it ... the sudden jaring should know it loose and come out then just put a tap into it since it is aluminum it should be no problm tapping it .... im gonna try that but if anyone has any more idead please let me know!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
we had the same problem last week tried the bolt and nut method and it didnt work. tried an impact with no results. so we tightend it up as tight as we could and put a chunk of pipe over the end and snapped it off as a last resort. Luckily it snapped of enough with the head that we could get it out.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Have to agree with above. I wouldnt even think about doing a suspension without an impact. Not saying it cant be done, but it sure makes life easier

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey thanks for the help guys ... i touched that damn thing with the impact wrench and it came right out ... cleaned the shaft off and retapped the holes to make sure everything would go in good!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by brnr17
[br]well i know u cant get one out without the other one to hold it in ... i threaded the other side back in when i was working on it and tighted it down tight then put a wrench on it to hold it ... then i went back to the trouble side ... i could turn it but when i did it just loosed the other bolt back out ... its not bad ... i called a polaris shop and they said it proubly cross threaded in there and is stuck so they said to put an impact wrench on it ... the sudden jaring should know it loose and come out then just put a tap into it since it is aluminum it should be no problm tapping it .... im gonna try that but if anyone has any more idead please let me know!
I had that happen to me with one bolt on mine this fall. Pissed me off something royal. I finally cut off the bolt with a hack saw n brought it in to a machinist to remove it n fix it

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
^ Its got nothing to do with brute force. Its having a bolt fairly tight on one side of the shaft with no way to restrain it on the other.

Loosen side "A" with the impact a few threads to loosen the oxidation and then snug it back in. Repeat the process on the other side. They will come right out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I took my skid out and had to use the nut on the bolt trick and it came out but was still a little tricky. I had to put the bolt with the nut just a couple of threads in so I could take it out easily after removing the other side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.