Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there was a CV boot that was cracked on my car, so we changed the whole CVC thing, u know..the axle etc...so we get that done and i needed to change oil in it, so i decided to take it for a drive to let it warm up, well, bout 6 miles later, i stop at the stop sign and try to go, and heard sumptin snap, and no more go for me, now i can idle in 5th gear, and my speedo says bout 25, i looked and where the CVC goes into the tranny, or whatever it is, it was leakin oil, it didnt really look like tranny fluid when i stuck some on my finger, so i dunno. all i know is it dont move. im waitin fer my dad to come home from golfin so we can pull it home...

Give next year chance before we all give up...​

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
sounds like ya snapped the input shaft to me. for a ripped cv boot ya dont need to change the halfshaft unless ya killed the joint. ya would have heard clicking around corners if it was bad. it is possible the shaft wasnt all the way in and ya strippede the splines off the half shaft. and if something on that side snapped like ya said yes that will cause your car not to move.

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sometimes it is cheaper and easier to just replace the shaft itself. As for what happened it doesnt' sound like a cheap fix. I am having some problems with my car also. At least I will if I don't have it looked at soon. The tranny started to make a whining noise a few weeks ago. Good thing my moms boyfriend owns a tranny shop. If I need it rebuilt I am going to have him stick a shift kit in while it is apart. Hope you don't have to spend a ton of $$ on the fix.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, it was aruond $400 for the one piece we needed to buy from honda, so we got a rebuilt shaft for $54, i was pretty sure it has something to do w/ what we fixed, cuz NO trouble b4, just 6 miles after we had it in, boom. But if it was just that side, u think the other whell would have power...its a 89 Honda Civic, FWD 5 speed manual tranny, so i dunno, my dad is on his way home from golfin right now, i will post when he looks at it.

it did click bad goin around corners, and it was just the CV boot that needed to be replaced.....i think...not sure, but i know it clicked goin round corners.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If it was the drive wheel that broke you wouldn't get far. Because the differental would direct the power to the side that moves easiest. Kind of like when you get stuck in the snow.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what happened was when we put the CVC in, it didnt snap into place, and it popped back out, hopefully we didnt lose all the tranny fluid in the time i drove it, toherwise it should be good. ya, now that i think bout that differentials and stuff jbjb it does make sense...its all coming together now.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts