Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions on cleaning oxidation off the part of the clutch that touches/squeezes the drive belt. You know the smooth inner walls where the belt rides. Sorry I don't know the proper name for this component.

[^]

·
Registered
614 Posts
You can use a scotch brite pad to clean it but don't polish it so it is shiny. Scotch brite pads come in many textures , from smooth (white) to coarse ( black ). I use green or brown these are medium grade.
Remember no wax or polish, causes your belt to slip.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is kind of dangerous, but if you're very careful you can run the clutch (belt removed) and hold a piece of emery cloth against it while it's spinning to clean it up.

Don't wrap the cloth around your fingers and don't have any sleeves dangling to get caught and rip your arm off.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i use 320 wet/dry sand paper its pretty fine grit then sand just enough to get the oxidation off also sand from the top of the sheave to the center never round and round, then when im done i clean it off by spraying it off with some brakekleen or some other high flashpoint cleaner, hope this helps you out

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by jacqui583
[br]This is kind of dangerous, but if you're very careful you can run the clutch (belt removed) and hold a piece of emery cloth against it while it's spinning to clean it up.

Don't wrap the cloth around your fingers and don't have any sleeves dangling to get caught and rip your arm off.

Jacqui.
[xx(]

I wouldn't recommend doing this, ever. Even at idle that thing is spinning over 1000 RPM. Plus you shouldn't run the engine with no belt, ever.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Some good things to try.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Originally posted by Willson
[br]I agree that is to dangerous to make it worth doing .
Yes, it can be dangerous, as I said, but it's really no different than polishing a shaft or something in a lathe. No doubt, you must be extremely careful while doing it.

Polarisman, as far as running it without a belt, it's only for maybe a minute or so. Would that do any damage?

Jacqui.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
You can run it without a belt no problem, it's just the risk of messing something up by accidentally hitting the throttle isn't worth it IMO.

It is a lot different than polishing a shaft in a lathe. A clutch on a sled is turning MINIMUM of 1000 RPM, most likely 1500 to 2000 RPM at idle. That is fast. Plus it's not a comfortable position to be in to get to the clutch. A lathe is up on a stand and you aren't bending around the secondary clutch and flipped up clutch guard.

Plus the belt will wear away any crap on the clutch sheaves anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
a nice cleaning with alcohol won't hurt after the emery cloth, get all the grim off the belt will grab better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts