Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my GPS mount for the sled. Main base the Ram mount bolts to didn't turn out as perfect as I wanted, mainly because I used .025 aluminum folded over for strength (3 layers) and tried to roll the edges some underneath to sandwich it together and take the sharp edge off of it. (All the alum. the store had was either too thick or too thin and flimsy, so I layered it. Looked really great - up until I cut it to shape! [beatup]

Anyway, it'll be black to match the handlebar covers and I'll cover up my imperfections. I apologize for the yellow pictures, I finished it after dark and with these artificial lights in my home, it came out yellow. This'll give you an idea of how to do it. [:D] I removed the Arctic Cat emblem from the handlebar cover, then made aluminum bases that fit right inside the cover cutout. Everything you see is made of aluminum and has stainless screws to secure it. Best part, no permanent modifications were done. As I mentioned, the main GPS holder is a RAM mount. I was gonna get a RAM mount that mounted to the bar inside the handlebars and drill a hole out the front of the cover, but there is absolutely no room inside to mount to the handlebar rod.

Seems very sturdy, and it's very lightweight, even with the GPS in place. I made it so I could secure it with nylon straps if needed too. Don't think I'll need to.

The cover you see is a second one, not the one on the sled, but it is the same used for test fitting. I'll have to still install it on the sled after the cosmetic touchups. [thumb]

Finished mount without the RAM and GPS installed:
20101023225137826_30155.jpg

Inside - alumninum plate to keep from having it tear through and distribute the weight (what little all this weighs [8D] ) over a larger area.
20101023225251935_30155.jpg

RAM/GPS installed in place:
20101023225537123_30155.jpg

Where's Waldo? :)
20101023225718701_30155.jpg

Bottom view:
20101023225833513_30155.jpg

Now, if only it'd snow!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Is that RAM like a waterproof case? How much are they and what model GPS is that? Are you planning on hardwiring it or just installing a cig lighter? I'd like to do something like that...looks very nice!

1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sledneck1978 said:
Is that RAM like a waterproof case? How much are they and what model GPS is that? Are you planning on hardwiring it or just installing a cig lighter? I'd like to do something like that...looks very nice!
It's just a holder. It's a Garmin Dakota 10. The GPS is supposed to be moisture resistant . Plus I have a tall windshield so, should be protected.

For Rams, you buy all the pieces individually, base on holder you need and mount (handlebar, suction cup, pedestal height, etc.) you need. I think it was something like $15-$20 for the mount (which hold the GPS) alone.

And the GPS runs for something like 24 hrs or so continuously on 2 AA's. (I'll use AA lithiums)
No hardwiring or cig outlet needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts