Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time finally came where my '06 F250 farm truck let me down for the last time during soybean planting this year.

That truck sat in our machine shed for 11 or so months of the year, then it seemed like every time we wanted to use it, something broke. This spring it was a loud bang and it wouldn't fire after that. Got it towed to the Ford dealer and there was a fuse that kept blowing on the main harness that fires the injectors and whatnot.

The dealer spent over 12 hours trying to get that thing to run. Eventually they got it fixed, it was an O2 sensor that was shorting out.

That, combined with a series of other annoying, minor, expensive to fix breakdowns over the 4 years of owning the truck got me good and fed up. I figured if I was doing all this work with my '13 F150 that I was supposed to be doing with the "farm truck" anyway, might as well get something that will be used, and hopefully not break down all the time.

So I traded the '06 F250 and my '13 F150 off on a '14 F250 with a 6.7L diesel. Went to Saskatchewan to pick it up last weekend so I got a nice 550 or so km test drive. Seemed like a lot of people were saying 3/4 ton trucks ride like a brick and are too huge to actually take to a city, I don't understand that. That thing got better fuel mileage than my EcoBoost and the ride was fine, it was a bit rougher but nothing jaw-dropping. In the few stops I made I had no issues parking or making corners and stuff, so I don't get what all the fuss is about.

Now when I'm dragging 13 or 14 thousand pounds of trailers around, at least I have a proper truck to do it. My F150 worked, but I suppose it wasn't exactly legal for weight and when towing that kind of weight it always felt like I was in a boat, kinda swimming around on the road. This should be much better.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Are you gonna take a pic of the truck and show it off to us soon? I hope that diesel will work out really well for you.

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2014 F-250 Lariat, crew cab with 6.75' box, 6.7L Powerstroke diesel, 3.55 electronic locking rear axle, lariat ultimate package, camper package and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

Attachments

Reactions: xcr440
1,792 Posts
I don't even want to know what those things cost. My dad would roll over in his grave. Only thing is those tires don't look very good for getting through snow with.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Nice. I've never owned a diesel pickup. I have thought that when I upgrade my current 3/4-ton pickup, it will be to a diesel. I've never found mathematics to justify the extra cost of the diesel, so it has to be justified by power, towing, usability, or some other metric.

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. I've never owned a diesel pickup. I have thought that when I upgrade my current 3/4-ton pickup, it will be to a diesel. I've never found mathematics to justify the extra cost of the diesel, so it has to be justified by power, towing, usability, or some other metric.
I can justify the 3/4 ton truck. I can't justify the diesel other than it's what I want therefore it's what I bought. The power and torque will be nice, however not really necessary.

But we are all snowmobilers, do we really have to justify spending large sums of money on something useless other than it's "what we want"?

·
Registered
9,980 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah, I think Poo man is really into modding. I bet you could get a big Monster decal for the back window, too.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Jeff, you'll really like that pickup. My dad has a 12 with about 45K miles on it now. His gets used more as a car than a work pickup, but it serves that purpose well too. I've taken it on a few trips west and it's been a good choice and has handled a 4 place enclosed trailer at 80 mph like a champ while getting 9-11 mpg. I think he usually gets as good or better mileage with his 250 than I do with my EB on a daily basis. If it wasn't for the darn cold winters around here, I'd have chosen to get a 250 instead of a 150, dealing with the fuel when it's cold and you're away from home is the biggest turnoff to me.

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had it for a few days now and driven it about 1300 KM, so far I like it. The ride on it is really not much worse than my F150's were. I haven't really taken it to any tight areas yet so parking has never been an issue, I'm sure it's more difficult in the city but whatever.

If I didn't have a heated garage I probably wouldn't have chosen this truck. In winter I'll be aware of it being outside and if I go anywhere where it must spend the night I'll be sure to find somewhere to plug it in, but guys around here with diesel trucks say it's not a big deal.

So far my only complaint is I miss the "easy fuel" of my F150. The big clunky diesel pumps that are designed to fill hundreds of gallons in a short period of time make it kinda difficult on the smaller tank of the truck. I've filled in fuel twice and spilled both times, haha.

I'll get the hang of that though.

I always hear about guys modding their diesel trucks and getting like 800 HP and 30 MPG... I've got lots of powertrain warranty on this truck and no money left anyway so I guess modding it is out for the time being.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I've had it for a few days now and driven it about 1300 KM, so far I like it. The ride on it is really not much worse than my F150's were. I haven't really taken it to any tight areas yet so parking has never been an issue, I'm sure it's more difficult in the city but whatever.

If I didn't have a heated garage I probably wouldn't have chosen this truck. In winter I'll be aware of it being outside and if I go anywhere where it must spend the night I'll be sure to find somewhere to plug it in, but guys around here with diesel trucks say it's not a big deal.

So far my only complaint is I miss the "easy fuel" of my F150. The big clunky diesel pumps that are designed to fill hundreds of gallons in a short period of time make it kinda difficult on the smaller tank of the truck. I've filled in fuel twice and spilled both times, haha.

I'll get the hang of that though.

I always hear about guys modding their diesel trucks and getting like 800 HP and 30 MPG... I've got lots of powertrain warranty on this truck and no money left anyway so I guess modding it is out for the time being.
P-man, I bet the biggest complaint about your new pickup that you'll have is the size of the fuel tank. the 3/4 tons have a 24 gallon tank compared to your old Eco's 36 gallon tank. When pulling getting 10-12 mpg it doesn't take long and you need to stop for fuel.

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, my 2011 F150 had a 24 gallon tank and it annoyed me. Getting my '13 that had the 36 gallon tank was awesome. Now I'm back to this 24 gallon tank again. I already don't like it.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Mebbe a bigger tank is the mod you want to do? :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts