Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Honstly with a 380 you are on a very extremely short limit of what you can do as far as increasing top speed goes. The only thing that comes to my mind is maby changing the gears, but thats about it. I would maby suggest up-grading to a 440 or 500 fan motor if.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Port it. Clutch kit. Shave/Mill the heads, or, if you have triple gaskets on, take 1 layer off. Lightweight skis. Lightweight racing exaust. lighter hood.

that's all I can think of off the top of my head..

Try thinking of ways to keep the engine a lot COOLER

·
Registered
244 Posts
i'd sell it and get a faster one but yeah theres really not much u can do to it. maybe clutch it for better accel me and my buddy put a clutch on a 440 poopersport and gave it some more take off because engaging and 5 rpms

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Originally posted by extremesummerfilms
[br]Port it. Clutch kit. Shave/Mill the heads, or, if you have triple gaskets on, take 1 layer off. Lightweight skis. Lightweight racing exaust. lighter hood.

that's all I can think of off the top of my head..

Try thinking of ways to keep the engine a lot COOLER
Where would you find a pipe for a 340? Honestly if the guy wants speed he bought the wrong sled.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I told him the same thing, a new sled. But he loves the look of his zx chasis. I dont blaim him, it looks really sweet. He put on a comet clutch this past winter. I never got to ride with him since he got it and he claimed he can go faster then before. If he was to get a new engine would it be hard to swap and what could he put under his hood that would fit easily, and would he be able to keep his clutch but get knew weights?

·
Registered
711 Posts
The zx was also made with a 500 fan cooled motor. Swaping out wouldnt be a big deal, you need the motor, electronics, exhaust, carbs, air box, and the 500 fan uses a tra clutch which is much better than them commet. That is you best be other than another sled. The 380's were not built nor intended for modification, they were built as an affordable consumer trail/touring model.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly, don't waste any money on the 380. You're starting with not much and will end up with not much. The money spent trying to get more power from a 380, would be much better spent on the difference he would get from selling the 380 and what it would cost to buy a 500 or 600 liquid. He could probably remove the dressup items he has on the 380, and put the stock parts back on.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i wouldnt waste my time even looking for hp gains...personally IMO i would sell it and buy a bigger sled....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.