Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most of you know i have a 93 xlt sp 580, ive had it 2 years now, when i bought it i knew the needles/seats needed attention. as i have to shut off the gas after rideing to prevent gas from entering the cylinders, well we went for a ride on the river, and at dead stop, idling, the tach would fluctuate between 1000-0 rpms, and you could deffinately hear a distinct change in the idle, like the sled was getting too much fuel. there is no backfiring, and ive also noticed that after riding, then sitting with it off, it is a pain in the butt to start. so what im getting at is what are all your thoughts on this?? i should also add that the fuel pump is ok, no noticable increase in oil consumption, and havent check the cylinders again to see if gas is in them, and i have no trouble getting up to 60 mph, top end is still great. tell me what you all think.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You can only get up to 60? You should be able to go alot faster than that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The XLT's are notorious for doing this.

I just finally changed mine out after weeks of back orders, wrong parts etc etc. If it sat for more than 5 minutes when hot it was tough to start. Now it starts first pull warm or cold.

Mine was very rich also and the fuel mileage was very poor. I haven't put any miles to see if the fuel milage goes up but I figure it can't get worse.

You should still use the shut off especially while trailering, cheap insurance.

Lead by example, it all starts with you!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yup, definately sounds like needle n seats to me as well. Mine did the same as you describe, even sitting 10 min it would be hard to start. Changed the needle n seats, and she started easily.....every time.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I agree - new needles and seats are in order. Even if it turns out that that isn't your problem, it will be your problem sooner or later. Replacing the stockers with vicon tipped needles will be pretty much a permanent fix.

I too delayed fixing mine when the tell-tell problems started poppping up. I finally got it fixed when I had to start feathering the throttle at idle to keep the pig running, just as you are now having to do.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it goes way faster then 60, at 70 i loose traction on ice and she spins, but i still have alot of throttle left, she is one hell of a runner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts