Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '90 Mach 1 that smokes like crazy. Leaves a nice puddle of oil on the floor if it idles for a few minutes. I checked the oil pump marks, and they are lined up correctly. Wondering what else might be causing this.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
use zyban or nicoderm to stop smoking

1st time running??
what oil??
Is the pump marks lined up when you have cable tension at the carbs, or at slack postion (you are to set at tension)
what happens sfter you ride it for a 1/2 day, does it still do it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are lined up when there is tension, I drained the old oil out and put Sea and Snow in it, didn't change anything. I have to gotten to ride it much since there is no snow, but the 2 trips I took around the yard on the grass it was putting on a better smoke show than most foggers!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
see what it is like after you get some snow and can run it for a while, when they are sitting for a long time they can drain fuel out of the carb and into the engine, the fuel flashes off and you are left with alot of oil, start it up and there is your smoke.
Old fuel can also help with this problem also
sorry I'm thinking no oil injection, but same theroy applies, the oil system is some what pressurized and can drain alittle extra oil in the crankcase

·
Registered
644 Posts
i also heard this about some ones leaking oil out the exhaust, i read to change a gasket......... i cant even remember which one :S but maybe some one else can add on sorry for the lack of brains today ,,

·
Registered
295 Posts
is the oil pump arm sticking wide open during use?
what the compression (psi)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check your carbs look and see if the floats are level if not level them.then check too see if the choke cable is set to tight.
that will make the carbs load up fuel and oil.then fuel and oil will come out pipes. and smoke alot. my mach z had the same thing happening with it.[:)]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well we finally got some snow today so I could get it out and ride it a little. After a couple of miles, the smoking stopped so I guess it wasn't anything major. I also remember the former owner telling me that he had added some sea foam to the gas, so that might have been causing some of it too. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts