Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, with the money I saved on fuel and oil so far this season due to lack of snow, I decided to buy a new helmet.

I picked up this HJC BURN SC-X4 for under a Benjamin.

This is my first MX style helmet, and I am curious to see how well it works. I've read a lot of posts from you guys on here, and most of you say the MX is the way to go.

I'm still undecided on goggles however because I wear glasses. Contacts or laser surgery is not an option, so if any members have an opinion on what goggles work great with a No-Fog face mask and glasses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway........here's the pics. The full face is my old HJC FG-12 Crevier Replica. It's finally getting replaced.

[attachment=58246]
[attachment=58248]
[attachment=58249]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Looks nice man!! I am sure you'll like it. What kind of goggles are you going to be wearing?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have the same Burn, I have the breath guard too, it works great. I highly recomend it. I love mine and it was at a great price too. Have you decided on what goggles yet, I went with the 50$ AC's by Smith and they work great as well. You are going to love your new lid.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was leaning toward the Oakley L Frame goggles. Tomorrow I will shop around and see what I can find that works for me.

If you wear glasses, and want to recommend me something chime in. This setup is all new for me during my 15 years of riding, so I'm unsure of what brands are best.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
nice. i think in a cpl years i'll hand down my hjc fuel helmet and im gonna get a fox pilot helmet

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
very nice helmet i like the mx style helmets a lot. i bought mine a couple years ago and it has done me well and i like the graphics on yours, heres mine

[attachment=13081]
[attachment=13080]
[attachment=13082]

sorry i am not stealing your topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Make SURE that if its really cold you keep as much of your face covered as you can. You DEFINETELY want a breathguard or a no-fog mask.
Ive worn MX helmets for the past 8 years and always had a helmet with a breathguard. I recently tried ditching the breathguard and going with just a noseguard.
Last winter I got a little frostbite on my face, so I tried a pair of goggles that has the noseguard and a little fleece mask. Well, 2 days ago I got frostbite again.
I wore a Thor Force and loved the helmet, but Im not going to deal with the threat of frostbite anymore. Yesterday I ordered a Polaris modular helmet and a heated faceshield. I always had problems with the visor on fullface helmets fogging and I think that the combination of the fighter pilot mask with the heated visor should pretty much eliminate any chance of fogging (or so I hope).
Im not saying a MX helmet is bad, but just beware that the risk of frostbite is greater with that style helmet and make sure you have a breathguard and have as little exposed skin as possible.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have the same one. same color and everything. You deff need a breath gaurd, and a good face mask. It gets colder than a closed face. I just switched from a closed face. I love it. No more fogging. I just have a set of cheaper scott goggles too. With the amberish tint. They work awsome in the bright sun and I can see at night still, but not as well..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]Make SURE that if its really cold you keep as much of your face covered as you can. You DEFINETELY want a breathguard or a no-fog mask.
Ive worn MX helmets for the past 8 years and always had a helmet with a breathguard. I recently tried ditching the breathguard and going with just a noseguard.
Last winter I got a little frostbite on my face, so I tried a pair of goggles that has the noseguard and a little fleece mask. Well, 2 days ago I got frostbite again.
I wore a Thor Force and loved the helmet, but Im not going to deal with the threat of frostbite anymore. Yesterday I ordered a [red]Polaris modular helmet [/red]and a heated faceshield. I always had problems with the visor on fullface helmets fogging and I think that the combination of the fighter pilot mask with the heated visor should pretty much eliminate any chance of fogging (or so I hope).
Im not saying a MX helmet is bad, but just beware that the risk of frostbite is greater with that style helmet and make sure you have a breathguard and have as little exposed skin as possible.
I think you will love that mod helmet with the fighter pilot facemask - I got one this winter (without the heated shield) so riding and being able to see at the same time is a new thing for me [:D]! I got the solid black one so I could wear it with the ZRT or the XLT. So far the coldest I have ridden was -15 and had no problems with it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looks good! [:D]

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I have the MX helmet and have a good breath guard and facemask and don't have much trouble with fogging or being cold. I use Spy Alloy and Smith Warp goggles with my helmet. I ride with guys that wear glass, but they bought prescription goggles from somewhere that advertises on Snowest. They have good luck with the goggles and no glasses while riding.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went out and got a pair of goggles today. I bought the Oakley L Frames with clear lenses. They fit over my glasses really well, and I like the way they feel on my face.

Now we just the trails to open back up, and I'll be good to go.

·
Registered
169 Posts
and a heated faceshield
I don't use the breath guard with my heated shield and I never fog up.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That sure is a good looking helmet

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a hjc mx helmet with breath guard. I have a pair of Oakley A-frames and a pair of oakley wisdoms, they both work great!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts