Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad, my bro. and I went to look at a sled for me today and wound up buying it! This is my second sled ever (My first was a '96 Ski-Doo Formula S 380, too small of an engine for me. It was a really cool sled though, extremely easy to throw around on the trails) The one we looked at today was a 95-97 (Don't have the papers/book yet) XCR 600. It has a completely new motor, the dealer replaced it when it blew up on a trip to Canada( the guy said it was something that was related to all XCR's of that year). The new motor only has 64 miles on it. We paid $1500 for it and brought her home today [:D]

Is there anything I should know about the XCR's, I'm gonna do some research tonight to get as much info as I can. I'll try to get some pics of it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My guess is it is a 96 or 97 xcr. Some years xcr's had crank failure problems and most likely this was the problem with the sled. If the dealer fixed it correctly you should be good for a ton of miles on the sled.

Here is some more info. on the xcr's...

http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The XCR will be a big step up in the HP department. Hang on cause its gonna rip down the trail.

Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
2000TCMC Posted - November 05 2003 : 10:10:57 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The XCR will be a big step up in the HP department. Hang on cause its gonna rip down the trail.

Welcome to the Forum!
Ya might want to have someone duct tape your hands to the bars will all that newfound power[;)]

Welcome Aboard!!! Ask questions, share experiences, don't brand bash, and most of all HAVE FUN!!!! [8D]

TOU

·
Registered
14 Posts
agreed on that one, my first sled was a 380fan, got on the 650 and the first time i put it to the bar and oh my [email protected]%~$%@$ god i had never rode something as fast, hell i think its the fasest accelerating thing ive rode/drove exept an airplane

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcomes [:D]

My Dad let me ride his 98 XCR 700 and it opened my eyes to how weak my sled was. It also showed me how much of a tank a triple-triple 700 is compared to a 380 fan.

Here's my sled:

Here's my Mom's 96 Indy 500, My Dad's 98 XCR 700, and my sled:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks like you got a 96 there. Nice sled. I've had one for the last 6 years. Put some slp ultra lite skies on it and that thing is a blast in the trails. Handles great and enough power not to get left behind on the lakes. I came across a deal I couldn't pass up on a 2002 500 edge x this summer so I'm selling mine. I'm sure i will miss it though. Here is a pic of mine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
yea those xcr's are quite fast...better wear a seatbelt becouse compared to the formula s ur going to be suprised what a real sled like the xcr has to offer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy we bought it also said that the real owner (his brother) did something to the clutch to "beef it up" it looks like a stock Polaris clutch, but my Dad says it looks like a new spring, so when he brings the rest of the papers and book he said there is a tool to adjust something on the clutch so it engages sooner or something. Does anyone know anything about any upgrades like that?

Also did that year of sleds sit low or is it just mine? It has Fox Shocks installed so that might be it too.

I can't wait till it snows now! I have been sittin on it everyday, hoping it will snow [:)] THanks

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Lookin good man.

Looks like everyone is getting pretty psyched up for winter

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by Night Stalker
[br]The guy we bought it also said that the real owner (his brother) did something to the clutch to "beef it up" it looks like a stock Polaris clutch, but my Dad says it looks like a new spring, so when he brings the rest of the papers and book he said there is a tool to adjust something on the clutch so it engages sooner or something. Does anyone know anything about any upgrades like that?
SLP makes an adjustable secondary helix. That will allow you to alter engagement of secondary. I put one in my sled this season. i don't know how much I'll be playing with it once i get it set the way i like. Have a great year with your new toy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lets see. Those triple XCR's are pretty heavy and hurt when you flip them over and they land on you, fracturing the sockets in your hip and shoulder. But they are fast. But now I have a XCR 440 chassis and its sooo light and nimble and just overall FUN. Have a good time and take it easy and you wont disable yourself like I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts