Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt think to post this til I saw the pictures of the Cummins. While its not a Cummins, it is a Powerstroke, and the GOOD powerstroke, 7.3L. Guy that owned it bought it new, then traded it back in to where he bought it for a new truck. Had less then 100k on it when i got it, now its got 101k on it. It came with a Superchips programmer, which I played with, but it kinda sucks, will probably get a Bully Dog so I can change it on the go.

· Registered
832 Posts
You'll enjoy the 7.3. While it's not as easily hopped up as a cummins, the 7.3 powerstroke, in the Ford super duty pickup, is a little chunk of diesel heaven! I've got a '00 with a bullydog chip, I like it, but it will be going to a custom-tuned chip to help with the other goodies I've got on it.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you not read, I want one that gives me the settings for fuel economy when I'm on road trips, and I also want a setting to pour black smoke to play with. It's not that difficult to figure out. And you won't be missed.

· Registered
832 Posts
Mileage can't be that bad, is it? I pull close to 20mpg with my 4.11 gears and the 4r100 transmission. Granted, that's mixed driving, but I've never gotten less than 14mpg, and that's pulling stock trailers and such.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At stock, I'm getting 15 knocking around town, thats with 3.73 gears. I'm going to put in an air intake, and straight pipe my exhaust, and I'd hope I do better.... Do you run any fuel additives in yours? I'm thinking about it, but havent gotten that far. Best I ever did on a long trip was 19, and I'd really like to figure out why so low. My buddy has the same truck in a 4 door, and he's getting close to 22mpg on long trips, and about 16-17 knocking around.

· Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
Clean truck!

Tony wildman makes the best custom chip for the 7.3,you can have him burn just the tunes you want. Each chip is burned spacificaly for your truck by giving him your trucks own PCM code.
http://www.totaldieselperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TDP%5F6

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats exactly what I was looking for, I just didnt know where to find it! I saw them use a TDP chip in the last issue of diesel power on that '97 Powerstroke. Thanks, now I just gotta save my pennies for it!

· Registered
832 Posts
polarisrxlrider said:
At stock, I'm getting 15 knocking around town, thats with 3.73 gears. I'm going to put in an air intake, and straight pipe my exhaust, and I'd hope I do better.... Do you run any fuel additives in yours? I'm thinking about it, but havent gotten that far. Best I ever did on a long trip was 19, and I'd really like to figure out why so low. My buddy has the same truck in a 4 door, and he's getting close to 22mpg on long trips, and about 16-17 knocking around.
I've got a 5" exhaust with a 6" tip, high-flow intake, boost fooler, Pyrometer, Boost Gauge and a Tranny Temp gauge on the A pillar. So it's mostly stock, hoping for a higher-volume HPOP later this spring.

As for poor fuel economy, how fresh is the fuel filter? I haven't had this problem on my F-350, but on our '05 Jeep Liberty CRD we were getting really poor mileage, but it still had power. Put a new fuel filter in and now it's back in the mid 20s just everyday driving and it'll get over 30 on the highway. Can't argue with that out of a 4x4!

As for additives, the only I use are either the Power Service anti-gel in winter and the regular power service all summer. I also get the PS Diesel 911 for those times when you can feel the fuel filter plugging up in extreme cold.

RMK-KING is exactly right on the Total Diesel chip. That's actually what's next for my pickup once the snow melts and I can get my glow plugs figured out.

Has your pickup had the cruise module recall work done? Mine hasn't, but any fix that's done on Ford's dime is worth getting!

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read something about the recall, and I dont think its been done. Just take it to my closest Ford dealer and have them do it? I havent changed the filter, but I probably should. I guess they're pretty easy to change, never done one though. I went to school for diesel, but I work on OTR trucks, with alot bigger motors then this 7.3L. I havent had a problem with it gelling, but when i know its gonna get cold, Ill buy the #1 diesel fuel. This summer I'm gonna go to the 3 gauges on the pillar, straight pipe exhaust, air intake, and probably a Total diesel chip. First I need to get a gooseneck hitch for it, as right now I've only got a Reese hitch on it, which is all I need til spring.

· Registered
832 Posts
polarisrxlrider said:
I read something about the recall, and I dont think its been done. Just take it to my closest Ford dealer and have them do it?
I'd say any Ford dealer wouldn't have any problems. It's the same basic recall that was done on the late eighties to early 00s F-150s too, they've just now recalled it on the bigger pickups.

polarisrxlrider said:
This summer I'm gonna go to the 3 gauges on the pillar, straight pipe exhaust, air intake, and probably a Total diesel chip.
Sounds like what my setup will be, I'm there minus the TD chip, I'm not badmouthing my BullyDog but I've just been way more impressed with the TD. How big of exhaust are you planning on going?

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking just 4", but I'd consider a 5". I'm gonna look at changing that fuel filter, see if that helps my mileage too. I've heard they're pretty easy to go, we'll see.

· Registered
832 Posts
I really haven't noticed much of a difference after the exhaust went on. It sounds way meaner, and you can really hear the turbo now. I'm sure you'd be just fine with a 4", I think the 5" was overkill. Oh well, it looks pretty sweet sitting off the back of the pickup!

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Nice lookin truck.[thumb]

Seems like you guys pretty much know what youre getting into. Just wanted to share what little experience I have had. My bro has a 04 Cummins Ram. He went with the Banks six-gun kit, full stainless 5"(?) exhaust, pyrometer, and high flow intake. All in all I think he paid $1600 for everything. Pretty expensive but he loves it. We got 18-19 mpg pulling a 2 place enclosed with sleds last weekend at 78 mph. Plus its straight up FAST. That friggin oil burner will smoke the tires from a dead stop and blow the doors off my chevy half ton!! Very impressive kit, imo. I drove it myself before and after the kit and it was a HUGE difference.

Just wanted to share. Whatever way go though, good luck.

· Registered
23 Posts
polarisrxlrider said:
I read something about the recall, and I dont think its been done. Just take it to my closest Ford dealer and have them do it? I havent changed the filter, but I probably should. I guess they're pretty easy to change, never done one though. I went to school for diesel, but I work on OTR trucks, with alot bigger motors then this 7.3L. I havent had a problem with it gelling, but when i know its gonna get cold, Ill buy the #1 diesel fuel. This summer I'm gonna go to the 3 gauges on the pillar, straight pipe exhaust, air intake, and probably a Total diesel chip. First I need to get a gooseneck hitch for it, as right now I've only got a Reese hitch on it, which is all I need til spring.
Doesn't hurt to keep a spare fuel filter on hand either. They're a little pricey, but good to have when you have troubles. Mine are a little over $20 for the cummins. Any fuel that you're getting right now from the fuel stations will be blended to prevent jelling.

Noticed a while back that the fuel station down the road from me sells either the ultra low sulfur diesel (15 ppm [xx(]) or you can get low sulfur diesel (500 ppm [thumb])! My truck's an '05, so no DPF to worry about plugging up. Seems to run smoother on the 500 ppm, but as far as fuel mileage, haven't really noticed. Truck as been chipped, 5" exhaust, hi rise intake, bullydog air filter, big aftercooler.

· Registered
832 Posts
jburke said:
Noticed a while back that the fuel station down the road from me sells either the ultra low sulfur diesel (15 ppm [xx(]) or you can get low sulfur diesel (500 ppm [thumb])! My truck's an '05, so no DPF to worry about plugging up. Seems to run smoother on the 500 ppm, but as far as fuel mileage, haven't really noticed. Truck as been chipped, 5" exhaust, hi rise intake, bullydog air filter, big aftercooler.
Yup, the Low Sulfur diesel makes my 7.3 and my '05 Liberty CRD run much smoother, with very minimal effect on the mileage.

As for diesels having some snoose, isn't it fun sitting next to a ricer that weighs 1/4 of your pickup and then smoking them off the light?

· Registered
23 Posts
polarisrxlrider said:
I'd rather have my 7.3 then a Duratrash.

Also, I didnt think you could get the low sulfur anymore, I thought it was all ultra low.
Mostly is ultra low. You have to look for the low sulfur to find it. The place i get it is a BP station that's set up for over the road trucks. Only 1 of the pumps is low sulfur, everything else is ultra low. There's another BP north of K'zoo that's the same way.

pudamobile said:
jburke said:
Yup, the Low Sulfur diesel makes my 7.3 and my '05 Liberty CRD run much smoother, with very minimal effect on the mileage.

As for diesels having some snoose, isn't it fun sitting next to a ricer that weighs 1/4 of your pickup and then smoking them off the light?

Agree. It's fun to see the look on their face when ya blow their doors off coming off the line. BTW, saw mention of smoke earlier in this post. Smoke does not equal power. It equals overfueled/under boost and also equals giving all of us with diesel trucks a bad name. Please think twice before using that boost fooler and "smoking" the guy behind you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.