Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, that's over-revving big time. Powerband is at 8200 rpm, +/- 200, and with my new reeds it's running exactly 8200 all the way across the board without messing with clutching. Mine must have been low on power before when it could only squeeze a constant 8000 rpm. This summer i found a chipped reed pedal, and also a leaky guilotine rubber boot on my VES. WOW, what a difference that fix made! Can you say.....snappy!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by MegaMan:

Yeah, that's over-revving big time. Powerband is at 8200 rpm, +/- 200, and with my new reeds it's running exactly 8200 all the way across the board without messing with clutching. Mine must have been low on power before when it could only squeeze a constant 8000 rpm. This summer i found a chipped reed pedal, and also a leaky guilotine rubber boot on my VES. WOW, what a difference that fix made! Can you say.....snappy!

[/quote]

I find it very funny you mention reeds and the leaky guilotine rubber boot in your VES. I just had to put in 2 new reed blocks, both were screwed, and both my VES guilotine rubber boots were shot, I was wondering why my sled couldn't go faster than 70 MPH last year, but it was the end of the year, and my first VES sled, so I was messing with clutching all the time, fixed those things up and suddenly I have tons of power but over revving. Now I gotta fix the clutching.

Find out those weights and stuff for me.

"Might Be Crazy But I Ain't Dumb" - Cooter

·
Registered
268 Posts
sweet pics mega! LOve that 440

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Polarisman, i'll find out that info for you this weekend when i can get over to my sled.

Let it snow!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Right on, Thanks.

I know how it feels to be away from your machine. We just got 6 - 8 inches of snow, the people back home say the ditches are full, the fields are white, and I'm stuck in the damn city writing exams.

MUST RIDE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Yep, got the shocks back, and the skid back in. In fact, Last sunday I went out (luckly) with a few buddies. I had no trouble keeping up with them, although they knew it was my first day out, so they took it easy. The day after we went out it was like 50 and raining, all the snow dissapeared this week. But the sled runs great. 3 pulls choked for cold start, one handed short pull to start it warm. A little slow until about 6000rpm, but maybe that's because it was 40degrees when we were riding.

I got stuck two times bad, and one time that doesn't really count. The first my buddies ahead of me turned around (I didn't know why), so I went a little further, and started turning around. Well.... They turned around because there was a marsh ahead, and because of the weather it wasn't iced over at all. Luckly I realized it and was able to power my way through it and walk it along until the last 10-12 feet before dry land. It was stuck in about 2 feet of water and muck. We lifted up the rear, shifted it out of the hole I dug, and tuged on the skis and pushed hard, while I stood to the side walking it along. Well, it did start moving, and I just held the throttle tight. I had my hands on the handlebars, and soon it was dragging me through the stuff. I let it drag me until I was where their sleds were on dry ground. I was already soaked to my knees, and there was no way I was letting it stop and get stuck again!

The other one was because they got way ahead of me, so I was alone on a dirt road I had never been on before. I stayed near the edge so that my hyfax would get some snow on them, and right at my headlight range edge there was a freaking 3 foot drainage tube coming out from under the road. (you know, the kind that have openings on each side of the road, and the road goes over it). Well, it was sticking out a little. I mashed the brakes, and leaned back hard (old biking reflex- with rear brakes only, if you put your weight to the back you could stop way faster). Well, in retrospect I should have just leaned forward and turned hard, but I didn't do that. Well, I got down to about 5mph before I hit it. My thighs hit my handlebars, but that was it. But my one ski was hanging of the side, and my skidplate was resting on the tube. I was stuck. I had a friend behind me, and he saw the whole thing, so he stopped to help. I got down in the 2 feet of water by the bottom of the tube, and lifed the ski with my arms like a forklift (I still have bruses on my forearms from the carbides), while my friend tugged on the bumper, and we got it moved over back onto the road. Luckly it was still about 35degrees out, so I had no worries about my wet feet freezing. Wet feet are uncomfortable, but not dangerous. If it was below freezing though, it would have been a whole 'nother situation.

The third time I don't count, because it wasn't my fault, and It was easy to fix. My buddie was leading in the ditch, and we followed him. He saw a small pond (not frozen) a little bit too late, and managed to have his sled hanging precariously close to falling in. He stepped thigh deep in the pond to hold his sled from falling in. We all stopped immediately, and rushed to pull his sled to safe ground, and help him out. After we got him and his sled out, there was no way we were going straight, where he was. The ditch side was too steep though, and all of us got stuck trying to get up it. Jason was dumb, and we all helped him get his up side by pushing and pulling like mad. I was a little more intelligent, and just picked up the back of my sled, and rotated it 90 degrees so that I was pointed the same way I came. I just sped off, and got a running start, and sidehilled up the ditch side. No problem. The other friend (in a 76 pantera no less) did the same, and followed my tracks up (or he'd have never made it!).

All in all it was pretty cold while we were getting sleds unstuck, but was still worth it, since we all came home in one piece, and learned alot about getting sleds unstuck. And we stopped and ate halfway, so we were warm and comfortable most of the time.

And I learned how much I hate water. WATER IS THE ENEMY!!!

If all the marshes/ponds had 6 inches of ice, we'd never a had a single problem.

F-in warm weather!

-Dean

·
Registered
586 Posts
It's stories like that that make my happy that I have a 4x4 ATV to ride untill we get lots of snow & cold weather!

Beware of landowners wielding snowshovels!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Mega, got that info for me yet???

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, i sent it to you Sunday. Check your mail.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Story time:

<marquee id='marquee'>POLARIS vs. YAMAHA</marquee id='marquee'>

Wow, i had a great day of riding yesterday! It's only the 4th or 5th time i've gotten out this whole year. Anyway...my buddy (Paul) recently purchased a nice 2000 SX 700R and he challenged me to a race. So i said OK and thought that it would be fun to at least try. His is equipped with 1.25" track, Bender silencer can (very loud), and a clutch kit. He said he could beat a stock one in a race.

Well...i meet up with him and i look over and there is 2 MORE Yami's there as well. (It was a setup!...LOL) Two SX 500R's, one was stock, the other which i later found out was modded with pipes, clutching, etc...

I'm thinking to myself...I hope i can at least beat that stock 500 over there. We see the signal and Boom...off we go, throttle pinned, engines screaming...i look to my left, both me and Paul have our skis in the air (barely) and we're hoping we don't hit each other because we were only 2 feet apart.

Roughly 300 feet later, i look back and the stock 500 fell way behind. At about 600' the piped 500 is also behind us. Me and Paul are still going...Nearly !/4 mile and my front bumper was lined up with the handlebars on his 700. He keeps turning his head looking at me. We didn't stop for nearly 1 mile total and i was actually gaining up on him around the 90-95 mph mark!!! We were dead even, right beside each other when we let off the throttle. I was jumping for JOY!!!
wow, i couldn't believe it!

We turn around, and he yells "What do you have in that thing... a 700!!" I open the hood and show him, he just shakes his head in disbelief. It really is a 440. Mostly stock too.

Again! This time it was just me and him. We move to some softer snow because he wanted the advantage with his deeper track. Off we go! He hooks up and i spin wildly, but somehow i managed to keep up with him, my front bumper was lined up with his rear bumper. He beat me...barely.

Again!! This time i lined up on some nice hard packed trail with a hint of a hay field beneath it. Off we go! BRAAP! We both hooked up marvelous. I actually got ahead of him a few feet, but he slowly slowly caught up at higher speeds, but that was it. He couldn't get ahead. It was neck and neck again! We raced a good 1/2 mile and the result was a tie.

We kept going. Racing again and again on hardpack and powder and we came to the conlusion that they are EQUAL. If you want official results, then i won 2 races, and he won 4. It was all about traction. Those 500's didn't stand a chance, they quit after the first race and they served as our starting line. Not that i don't like Yamaha's or anything, i like them alot. They make a great sled, but that 440 amazed me yesterday. Now i see why my Polaris dealer calls it the red rocket.

'98 XCR 440 SP

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
HA, that's what I'm talkin about!

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Cool man. I rode a Indy 440 this past weekend and I finally remembered why I wanted a Arctic Cat 440 SnoPro Liquid cooled. Those smaller displacement engines rock. I had forgotten that fact.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts