Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had my sled in my workshop for a few weeks now prepping for the season. I took my rave valves out to clean them, and they were basically spotless. I essentially, wiped them off with a shop towel. I have exclusively run Amsoil Interceptor for the past 3 years. I clean my valves every fall, and last year I had just under 1500 miles on my 01 600 Formula Deluxe.

I talked to my friend the other day, and he says that he had his VES valves out of his 03 700 XCSP. He also only runs Amsoil Interceptor and had about the same miles on his machine last year. However, he remarked that his valves were rather crusty looking with carbon buildup and residue.

What might cause these differences? I know that this sled is new to him and last season was his first season riding it. The valves were cleaned up before the season. Also, we don't ride slow and steady. Usually we ride pretty aggressive and the RPMs are usually up.

I was thinking that maybe the jetting or the fuel octane switch that his sled has could be factors. I recall that for maybe half or more of the season last year, he was running his sled with the octane switch on the regular fuel setting. After he figured out the operation of that switch he ran premium fuel and kept the switch on the premium setting.

As I understand it, the regualr fuel mode retards the ignition timing a couple degrees. Could running it with the switch on the regular fuel setting contribute to dirtier valves? Factory jets are in the carbs, and sprak plug color is your typical "kraft paper brown". The only other thing I can think of is to check the function of the oil injection pump, and verify that the metering lever is lining up with the scribed lines on the casting at idle and full throttle.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andy.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Polaris has always had a dirty valve issue. Ski doo's hardly ever need cleaning.

check his oil pump settings...I know when I ran interceptor that they had some build up. Really depends on how you ride. If you get the sled warm and ride most of the day with little to no stops the valves are clean with pretty much any oil. If you stop alot then the stuff cakes on more.

The switch bumps the timing up a few degrees above 6500 rpm, below that it is the same.
It(pump arm) should ony have idle lines not wot.
Make sure the lines line up when slack is removed from the cable or just as the slides begin to move.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Polaris sleds are gunerally 2-4 sizes to rich on the main jet from the factory. If he leans it down some then he will have less build up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts