Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the very first sled I have ever owned and I decided that I needed to kill it. I was hoping to get pictures of it BEFORE I destroyed it, but a few minor things happened and I broke a few small parts. Then I wanted to wait until I fixed them and got it all cleaned up before I took pics. Well, I won't ever get that chance now...

Bigwilly's tag line at the end of his messages reads, "Trees don't make the greatest brakes!" Well, I'm here to tell you that he is absolutely 100% WRONG!!! They make wonderful brakes... you stop instantly... well, the sled does... you, however, fly over the handlebars and slide across the ground for 30 feet!

Take a look at the following pics... this is what remains of my sled.

http://home.mchsi.com/~roa8064/sled/sled001.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~roa8064/sled/sled002.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~roa8064/sled/sled003.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~roa8064/sled/sled004.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~roa8064/sled/sled005.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~roa8064/sled/sled006.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~roa8064/sled/sled007.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~roa8064/sled/sled008.jpg

Aside from the fact that my left knee is swollen, my left ankle is probably sprained, and I have a bit of a rub rash on my right thigh from the throttle lever digging into it, I am in pretty good shape.

I guess my riding season is over with... and I won't have to worry that my area doesn't have any snow...

All is not lost tho... I did learn a pretty good lesson... You should not make 30+ mph jumps into areas that have trees... they don't move out of your way!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there is a Polaris dealer/shop about 10 miles from me that did a bunch of work on my sled before this season started. It occurred to me that he did tell me about an Indy sled that he has behind his building. There is no title for the sled and I don't think it runs. I believe he told me that only wants $125.00 for the whole thing. So, if that sled is what I am looking for, I will be swapping all my good parts over to that chassis. But, I will have to contact him before I can say for sure what is going to happen.

I am pretty partial to this particular style of Indy and I loved my sled. I spent a lot of money to get it to look the way it did (before the wreck). It used to be a white Indy with the standard graphics package. I repaired cracks in the hood, bought a used nose cone, new red front bumper and caps, red snow flap, handle bars, red heat grips, red foot grips, red ski skins, red belly pan, painted the hood, windshield, and nose black, painted the side bumpers red... basically, I made it look the way I wanted it to look. Hell, I even custom ordered all new lettering for the reg numbers and the Polaris Indy and XCR 600 text. The flames were a cheapie set from Advanced Auto Parts.

I guess I can't let all those new parts go to waste... I'm gonna TRY to bring her back from the dead... but I'm not Dr. Frankenstein :) For now I will play it by ear. I will know more on Monday when I have had a chance to talk to the shop. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
ouch........

I learned a long time ago on May long weekend out at Falcon Lake that "tree's dont move, and bones do break" :^(

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, here are some pics of the crash site the day after.

/snofan/../images/users/95XCR600/trees01.jpg

Here is the path that I intended to take. I was aiming to go between the two trees. About two hours before the crash, I had gone this very same way, but I was only doing about 15 MPH and went between those trees with no problem. It was a nice drift of snow that made a nice ramp over the 1.5 foot concrete wall that separates the beach from the grassy area of the park. The lake had been some really good riding that day, but the drifts in the park were too inviting.

/snofan/../images/users/95XCR600/trees02.jpg

Here we see the trees getting closer...

/snofan/../images/users/95XCR600/trees03.jpg

Doing about 35 to 40 MPH, my ski didn't touch the ground until about 10 or so feet before the tree. I leaned away from the tree and tried to steer away from it, but it didn't work. I could see in the snow, that the ski must have been turned... the cut in the ground is too wide to have been a straight run at the tree... nothing was keeping me from hitting that tree.

/snofan/../images/users/95XCR600/trees04.jpg

This picture shows the point of impact. I took a small chunk out of the tree bark, but it's barely noticable... unless you are looking for it.

/snofan/../images/users/95XCR600/trees05.jpg

This picture is the complete story.
1) shows the point of impact.
2) shows about where I landed... 20 feet away.
3) shows a skid mark where my sled spun itself around in the snow and dirt.

When I hit the handle bars, I apparently crushed the throttle lever with my leg. It got jambed back and bent the cable... keeping the throttle wide open. The sled spun around at least one time. I remember rolling over to watch where it was going to go, making sure it wasn't coming at me. I didn't want to get run over by that 450+ lbs sled after being slammed over the handle bars. That would be adding insult to injury.

4) shows it's final resting spot.

I think because of the damage to the ski and trailing arm, it kept the sled from going in a straight line. It spun around and smashed into the other tree, facing back towards the way I had just come from.

Today, I had a chance to take my sled apart a little. I don't think that it is as bad as I first thought. The nose cone, front bumper, the aluminum support brace behind the nose cone, the hood, and the throttle lever are a total loss. My windshield is fine. The plastic that forms the bottom of the engine compartment is really bent up and looks pretty bad. The left side engine compartment trim is ruined. The trailing arm and ski are worthless. One radius rod is slightly bent, but might be able to be straightened.

I will be taking the sled to my shop of choice (Boyd's Sales and Service - Rock Falls, IA.) today (1:30 am right now) and have him look at the bulkhead and where the trailing arm attaches in the rear. That mounting bolt is pushed back and slightly up... the area is ripped pretty badly. I don't know what can be fixed and what can't. I'm hoping that he will tell me that the bulkhead is fine.

Since I can't afford a new sled, I am going to have to rebuild her slowly... should give my legs some time to heal :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ouch.. sorry about the sled hopefully you get 'er fixed up.. Perhaps, if there had been some snow on the ground you might have been able to steer clear of that tree..

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I will get her fixed up. Ebay and I are very old friends and the parts are readily available. It's just a matter of the ending prices and shipping costs. I just picked up a '94 chassis remains from Boyd's Sales & Service... not much of it left, but the structural aluminum is there so that I can rebuild my left foot rest and trailing arm mount and have the black plastic of the engine compartment. It also have the steering shaft, but it's bent, so I don't think I will use that one. The tunnel is toast... appearently it had been a stolen sled at one time and the serial number tag has been cut out of the side. I gave a whopping $25.00 for this chunk of sled... I think I did okay for the parts I am gaining.

It may take me a while to get my sled all back together the way I want it, but in the end I will have gained a wealth of knowledge and experience in repairing my boo boos... it's also another way to teach me to stay away from those darn trees... the amount of work invovled will help the lesson sink in :)

/snofan/../images/users/95XCR600/partschas01.jpg
/snofan/../images/users/95XCR600/partschas02.jpg

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Well you seem to have a project for the rest of the year... Good thing you weren't bent up like your sled was. Machines can be brought back from the dead (it may cost a lot but they can) but people can't. Good thing you are ok.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy crap! I just started taking apart the bulkhead/tunnel so that I can get the parts that I need off of it. I didn't realize that this was going to be so much of an undertaking. My left footwell was torn up pretty badly when the trailing arm was shoved back... just replacing that one piece is going to require that I remove the track and drive axle. I have to replace the steering shaft, so I will have to pull the engine completely out (I think), and the black plastic of the engine compartment isn't so bad, but still a lot of rivets to deal with.

I guess I can plan on not riding my sled again this year! Which is a real bummer... last night we got about 4 or 5 inches of nice fluffy powder.

I guess I could sell my '67 Mustang and buy another sled :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts