Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my free Indy 400 that i got this year only lasted about 2 weeks. its on the verge of blowing up. i drove it about 50 km and it started to act up. i took it to a guy to clean it out and found out that the carbs were set to too lean. and im guessing that is bad? he says it could go at any minute. so im in the market for a new one. there is a 1992 MX 470 for sale for 1200 bucks from a dealer. what do u guys think about this topic? is that sled good or bad? and can my sled blow up from running to lean?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
If it is to lean on oil ya it can blow up, but if it is to lean on gas and oil it probably wouldn't run to start out with. I would take the top end off and see if there is any damage to the cylinder walls or the piston head and rings.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the guy said it probably wouldnt be worth fixing. but i think he ment to lean on the gas. i was wondering on why that would hurt it. but what happen with it is that it would run extremely well then all of a sudden just die. also he wouldnt be able to fix it until the summer.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
whos "the guy" is he a mechanic or a buddy. Maybe you should take it to a polaris dealer if you can. It shouldnt be a problem if you are running lean on gas, as long as your mixture is right.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by The_Mad_Warrior
[br]well the guy said it probably wouldnt be worth fixing. but i think he ment to lean on the gas. i was wondering on why that would hurt it. but what happen with it is that it would run extremely well then all of a sudden just die. also he wouldnt be able to fix it until the summer.
If the carbs are set lean, why can't you just set them right? Am I missing something here.

By the way, when they run lean it will burn down.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
then im guessing he thinks it burned down. he isnt a friend but he isnt a real mechanic either. but i might keep it because he wanted to buy it off me for cheap but maybe i should keep it then get it fixed during the summer? and still go with the mx while it is getting fixed.then me and my dad both have one to drive.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
[/quote]
If the carbs are set lean, why can't you just set them right? Am I missing something here.
[/quote]

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
[br]then im guessing he thinks it burned down. he isnt a friend but he isnt a real mechanic either. but i might keep it because he wanted to buy it off me for cheap but maybe i should keep it then get it fixed during the summer? and still go with the mx while it is getting fixed.then me and my dad both have one to drive.
Maybe "the guy" wanted to buy it off you for cheap because it's really not blown up. If you have acess to a compression tester, use it. If you don't know how to use it, PM me and I'll tell you the procedure to test. Don't do anything until you have thought about all your options after the compression test.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know how to use a compression tester dont worry about that. its just that i have to find a way of getting it home. so if was running to lean there shouldnt be anything wrong with it? and if there is the compression would be down right? i think i will pay hm 50 bucks to put it back together and bring it home. i dont want to sell it if i can fix it and get my money worth

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maybe i shgould explain what wa happening to it though a little better if this makes a difference? it would run fine then die all of a sudden. and then it would sit for a couple of minutes maybe 30-45 minutes and i could get it started. I would have to hold the throttle wide open and it would only rev at 1 grand. and wouldnt move. Nut then sometimes after waiting longer it would run fine. It did this several times. The guy said he would fix it for us but would have to wait until spring. I would really love to be able to trust this guy because we dont have a poalris dealer around here i live in a small town.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
[br]...so if was running to lean there shouldnt be anything wrong with it? and if there is the compression would be down right?
Right. You would have little to no compression on a burn down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the general opinion stands. You can fix that one for far less than 1200 even if you had to replace the motor. If you like the sled why buy another?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok im gonna call him up tomorrow and ask him to do a compression test. then see what is what. he is just assuming its about to go though he doesnt know for sure.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i dont really like the sled to much not much of a suspension to it anymore, the spedeometer doesnt work anymore on it so i cant tell how far i have driven, its a pretty rough ride and has been a hassle so far. so no i dont like this particular sled.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
[br]i dont really like the sled to much not much of a suspension to it anymore, the spedeometer doesnt work anymore on it so i cant tell how far i have driven, its a pretty rough ride and has been a hassle so far. so no i dont like this particular sled.
Probably just a broken cable on the Speedo. Not that spendy to fix.

·
Registered
586 Posts
test for compression ... if thats good check your fuel system .. carbs clean .. filter unclogged .. that kind of stuff ... there are so many ppl on here that can walk you through the steps ... dont trust this guy to do everything for u and just hand him the check ... that's putting a lot of trust on someone that from what you said you dont know very well

1 - 20 of 32 Posts