Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, don't think i have ever posted this so I thought I would show everyone my ride. It is a 1989 Arctic Cat Jag 340cc pull start, did not come with speedo or anything fancy. I have owned the sled for nearly 5 years now and love it very much. it came to me in very good condition so i haven't done much to it. I wire brushed and painted the exhaust pipe after some TSP was put on it nad painted the skis with some black rust paint and painted the foot hold that are up near the front. I replaced all the fuel lines last year due to me thinking they were just too old an brittle, didn't trust them if i wanted to go more than around my house and the local lake. The fuel filter was dirty so i bought a new one and replaced all the fuel lines with that expensive arctic cat stuff the is green looks very nice and good piece of mind. I also put new standard fuel line in the tank and a new weight and screen on it. When i went to replace this there was no line at all in the tank!! after i checked it out i realized it had all desintegrated leaving small pieces in the tank. also the screen was half gone. all new stuff in there now and nice and clean. Other than that I riveted a new hood clip since it had began to break off. I have had unbelievable amounts of fun on this sled that i couldn't explain (you all know what I am talking about) love to go on some local trails, governed trails here in Ontario or what i do most of the time is go over to my buddy's farm and rip over there. The sled works like brand new and looks brand new too. When on the trails just about everytime i stop i get some comments like "wow nice sled, what year is it?" once when i was stopped a group of 6 guys that i later found out from new york came to talk to me. it started by one of them calling over the others "hey guys come look at this Jag, it's like new!" I'm pretty proud of it. I do wish i had more power but for bush riding (on my property don't worry) I love it. I was very surprised last year when i put a new belt on it. I purchased a Dayco MAX belt and for 3 days of riding before it broke in, My sled would carry the skis for a good 20 paces before setting them down again. It is very light and can be picked up and moved with one hand by me no problem if i get stuck. The rearend is so light and the lugs on the track so small that i can't travel quite as fast as a newer sled even on slow corners as i tend to slide out. My topseed on lakes is approximatley 90 KM/H However, it is very fun to control the rear end just by applying pressure to the left or right on either leg can swing it out whenever you like. What can i say? I love it. The sled has never seen road sand or salt and has only been trail riding on official trails twice in it's lifetime. I have always drained the gas, fogged it and put it on stands in the garage for the summer. track is always elevated when not in use too.

This year i was maybe going to purchase a car but due to the high insurance costs (as much as the car i want) I will be driving my sled for fun. I may drive it to school somedays this year and definatley trail riding. If i do decide to ride much this year I may sell it at the start of the year and look for possibly a 1996 or 98 ZR 500 as i would hate to punish mine on 45 minute rides everyday to school and the suspension isn't so kind on it and i would be sure to have a sore back within a few weeks. But for the mean time, here she is. this picture was taken 3 years ago. as soon as the snow flies I will get some under hood pics and shots all around as well as some action shots. Let me know what you think.
oh btw, are the 96 or 98 ZR 500 possibly EFI decent sleds? I would engoy the extra power although it is very little compared to the sleds out there nowadays but i like the corners best and I would like something nimble and reliable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really like your sled! I have had a lot of good luck with them. My 89' Jag AFS 440 is a similar story. Chassis like new, dependable as a rolex, no race champion but a heck of a lot of fun and a good handler. I rode it on the trails several times last winter. I also have a 97 ZR580 but more because it was a good deal and not because I need 100 ponies to get down the trail. I think what ever sled you can afford next will probably ride a little better but it won't necessarily be more fun, just different. If you can swing it, I would hang onto that lil' Jag, you'll want it back someday!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reassuring words i love it very much. I think what I will do is take it for a few trips on weekends or to school a few times and see how it goes. I would hate to pound it. Even if it wouldn't be my sled anymore i still feel like it is a part of me, i woulndn't want to treat it wrong. ok that sounds weird but you know what i mean?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Thats a great sled, and it sounds like you take real good care of it. Like oldmanwinter said, if you can swing it, I'd hold onto it. Even when the time comes for you to buy a newer one, it would still be nice to take the ol' Jag out for a ride on ocations. Older sleds in that kind of condition are VERY rare these days. I'm glad you enjoy it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Your Jag looks like it is in really nice shape. I realize the suspension has its limits. Have you ever taken the rear suspension out and serviced it? It usually makes a big difference to clean and grease the shafts, replace any worn or bent parts, and check the bearings. I agree with everyone else, keep the Jag if you can.

That wouldn't be the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) in front of you in your picture would it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the kind words. no, i have never taken everything apart under it as i didn't think it was needed. Every thing looks like brand new under there and no rust at all. everything seems to work perfect just the travel isn't much but for a little 89 it works the way it should. every fall and spring i grease every fitting there is and every spring i always give everything a good coating of some spray on stuff called "fluid film" this stuff is great, it's a cross between WD-40 and grease. you spray it on and it stays there keeps everythign squeak and rust free and everything moving nice.

Yes, that is the OPP in front of me. My dad is a polic officer. When i went riding one day i met up with him. I had a camera with me so i got him to take my picture. Don't worry i didn't get in trouble lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice sled, looks like it is in great shape. Keep up the good work. I would like to show you my '89 Wildcat 650. It's in good condition, works well and still goes pretty fast.
/snofan/../images/users/labradorian/89wildcat650medium.jpg

Still puts a smile on my face! [:D]

Glen
NB Canada
'89 Wildcat 650
'94 Panther DLX 2000miles
'85 Honda XL600R

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very nice sled labradorian yours looks mint too. I love the older sleds, as long as they are in good shape. It makes me mad to see older sleds all beat up with a little TLC and easy on the gas over those snow banks they could look nice too but people that can't look after their machines, makes me mad. The older sleds get way more looks than the new ones. Although mine won't swing too well at the highschool, Older sleds in good shape aren't junk they are "nice" IMO, more unique than newer ones too. looks like i am gonna keep my sled this year at least and ride it to school a bit. I am gonna purchase some nice carbides for it (have only been using the steel skags) and my sliders may last half the winter so i'll get a pair of those too. Gonna get a trail pass this year too instead of a day pass. Should be great fun, I can't wait.

Oh, anybody have any ideas of other upgrades i could do? i stripped off the old ratty grip tape on the running boards a few years ago and want to purchase some of that too. That would make my sled perfect. I want to keep it looking and sounding like it just came out of the showroom. So are they any other upgrades I could put on it? I know clutch kits and pipes would be no good for me as it is a 340 single carb and wouldn't be worth the money. any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm i just thought of something. my shocks work fine but what you guys think of me getting a gas shock(s)?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice Wildcat Labradorian!. I own a Wildcat myself a 93' Efi mc i have pictures in my profile if you wanna see.

Arctic Cat Wildcat 700 efi mc

·
Registered
948 Posts
Originally posted by Baja
[br]hmm i just thought of something. my shocks work fine but what you guys think of me getting a gas shock(s)?
Hate to say it but the leaf spring suspension I doubt you'd find there is a difference with any new shock.

Great condition sled! Keep up the good work on that Baja![:)]

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Nice sleds!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
those jag have any problems?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts