Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
R&R has been around for awhile. Its aluminum and has the torsion axle,so thats good. Price is pretty good to. Things you'll want to add are: tongue jack, ski guides and traction mats or bars. Also a spare tire.
Just remember to read the small print.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I personally own an R&R. It get's the job done and serves it's purpose. If I could do it all over again I would have gone with a Triton. To me it doesn't seem like good craftsmanship went into the R&R.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Triton's do seem a little better but I guess that is why they are typically twice the price of everything else.

Another question, I also have a 04 Raptor 660 quad which I would also like to store in the trailer. How well do these trailers work for quads? Would it even fit with my snowmobile? Also the main reason I am looking for one is to clear out space in the garage by putting my two toys in there and storing them outside. Do these trailers seal up fairly well as far as water? Also is there usually a lock on the shell so that way you cannot open it, usually there is one on the little door I beleive.

Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Three years ago when I was shopping looked into R&R trailers. I found they were cheaply made and priced accordingly. Not saying that's bad but with all the other makers out there offering a better made for a little more $$. I don't like clam shell trailers but they do serve their purposes and all are very close in quality. Find a used top brand name or get a cheaper new left over model. Material price is out of the world right now so next years models will be allot higher.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an R&R, ride-on ride-off, the craftsmanship is really good. My g/f is a welder and she said whoever welded the aluminum did a really good job. The previous poster is right though, you need a tongue jack (about $20) and a spare tire and mount (about $60). I didn't need ski guides, but I did need traction on the ramp and deck, so I used an old track I had laying around, I cut the lugs off the bottom and bolted it to the ramp and to the deck of the trailer. I have had the trailer for about 4 years now, and I am very happy with it. This past summer, I replaced all of the wiring on it, the salt in Chicago did a number on the crimp connectors used to build the harness. I rebuilt it with a new harness, soldering and heat-shrink tubing on all connections, I also used dielectric grease on all plug connectors. I expect to get many years out of the new harness.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mustangnut6788-

Try USA trailers located in Clyde Ohio (pretty near you I would think). Back in the fall of 04 I shopped around for months and was willing to drive 3 or 4 hours to buy. I found that USA was the best price for what I was looking for. I ended up getting a Rance snow pro with basically the same specs as the one you are looking at for $2100. That included the 10" wheel upgrade (I highly recommend the 10" wheels), tongue jack, spare tire, and they even threw on a wiring kit onto my truck. I was very happy dealing with them and I am real satisfied with my trailer. Good luck and have fun!
[attachment=15576]

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Originally posted by bwinkler
[br]I have an R&R, ride-on ride-off, the craftsmanship is really good. My g/f is a welder and she said whoever welded the aluminum did a really good job. The previous poster is right though, you need a tongue jack (about $20) and a spare tire and mount (about $60). I didn't need ski guides, but I did need traction on the ramp and deck, so I used an old track I had laying around, I cut the lugs off the bottom and bolted it to the ramp and to the deck of the trailer. I have had the trailer for about 4 years now, and I am very happy with it. This past summer, I replaced all of the wiring on it, the salt in Chicago did a number on the crimp connectors used to build the harness. I rebuilt it with a new harness, soldering and heat-shrink tubing on all connections, I also used dielectric grease on all plug connectors. I expect to get many years out of the new harness.

Welds were good but the design (frame, floor and wall studs, wiring, nose sheeting) was not up to par with others.

Take a day and drive around the Indiana border where most of these trailers are made. Plenty of workers have trailers for sale in their yards at a great price. Found this out when I picked up mine and cried!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well this thing isn't really going to get used too much. Maybe about 3000 miles a year tops. The rest of the time it is going to be used for storage, so as long as it will survive that I'm ok. Yeah I know the Tritons are much better quality but they seem to be a lot more expensive. It seems any trailer of this type is worth about $1500 and I just figured I could get a new one for a little more. I have a jack so I'm not concerned there and I can make do for a little while without the ski guides and I can always make something for the traction strip. So those are not too big of concerns. I think my Raptor should fit in it with my sled after doing some measuring today. I take very good care of my toys so I think that hopefully it should last me for quiet some time even though the quality might not be all that high. One question I have still remains though:

Are these shells lockable?

Any other comments for the good of the order?

I guess now I just need to decide whether or not to blow a big chunk of money haha. I'm sure the girlfriend will be thrilled haha. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have never came across one that is lockable from the manufacturer but I don't see why you could not make one lockable. I would be more concerned about some one hooking up to and snagging the whole shebang. Big old chain and lock around the axle- than around a nice fat oak tree might help with that issue.

As far as your raptor fitting in there I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My brother found out the hard way not to lock the trailer. Thieves tore the hell out of it trying to get in. Insure the trailer and the stuff inside. Don't leave riding gear or item you don't want to walk off. Only time I lock my trailer is on a trip. This way strays don't get a free ride when I stop for fuel.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did find out that this does come with a one year manufacture's warrenty and does have 8" wheels.

What do you guys think? Decent buy?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I stopped by the local power-sports shop today to see what they had to offer. They had a new 2006 Triton enclosed XT for $2600. I know its a better quality but is the $600 justifiable? To some people that might not be a lot but to me right now it does make a difference.

What you guys think?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What would you consider as an alternative then? I really want to keep under $2000.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]cox trailers
http://www.coxtrailer.com/trailers/snowmobile.html
they make excellent trailers.
Those do look like nice trailers. Kind of a different design approach, looks like itd work out ok. By looking at the features it might be a little out of my price range though, I sent them a message anyway, we'll see!

·
Registered
615 Posts
i have a R&R trailer..actually same exact one it looks like in the picture.
its a trailer i think they are all pretty much about the same, its been good no real bad leaks, the cap or roof whatever the enclosure part freezes up in the back and i cant open it once in a while but i just carry a torch with me to heat it up and melt the ice and good to go. all and all its a pretty good trailer, like was said in previous posts it serves its purpose..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.