Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my summer ride.

I've been riding a '93 XR250L for 4 years... but I'm 6'1", 250 lbs, that was a little on the small side!

A few months ago I bought this '01 KLR 650. I sat on it once last summer, haven't seen it since then, hope I like it!

Any other dual-sport riders out there?

/polarisman/../images/users/north of 55/Bike Overview sm.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's my dual sport:

/snofan/../images/users/Mike_XLT/XR01.jpg
'02 XR650L
-Uni filter / IMS smog block off kit / Snorkel removed / B.D. jet kit (162/55) / FMF "Q" Exhaust
(click the link in my signature for more pics)

By the way... What made you stray away from the XR line???
-Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why Leave the XR Line?

Well... Where I live there are very few places to go off-roading. You actually can't go very far in any direction without hitting water or muskeg. Pretty rough... I live in the middle of nowhere and there's noplace to go off-roading! It's an 8 hour drive due-south to Winnipeg Manitoba!

I really liked my XR (although I was much to big for it), but I want somehting that's a little more "streetable" without getting out of the dual-sport style.

An XR650L would have cost me more than twice what I paid for my KLR. Then I would have been buying a bigger fuel tank, changing the seat, tires... the XR is just not a bike I can see myself riding for 6-8 hours a day!

With it's 6.1 US Gal tank, wide seat and liquid cooled engine the KLR should be a lot happier on long highway rides.

Best of all, I picked it up for a great price, and I knew the owner well. I know it's been well taken care of!

If the XRL had the liquid cooled engine from the XRR, I'd be tempted to give it a try!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Yeah... about that CR450F!

We can't (legally) convert a dirt-bike into a Dual-Sport in Canada.

They won't give it a safety certificate... that means no plates!

It sure would be nice though!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ride a DR350 SE..It works great for trail riding and minor commutes. I have a hard time keeping up with my buddies Yammies and KTM's on singletracks.. Oh well that's the price you pay to be legal..

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Here's mine:

1995 DR250se

I picked this one up this winter, when the picture was taken.

Since then I've got a pipe, new rear tire, smaller front sprocket, uni-filter (to go with gutted airbox), new jets and needles, front fender, and used IMS tank sitting in the garage ready to be installed. Haven't had her out yet this spring. Hoping to get everything installed in the next week or two.

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/dr 02-02-03.jpg

Oh yea, also picked up frame guards and xr style (smaller) rear brake light.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by 98mxzx440
[br]nice bikes!here is mine
/snofan/../images/users/98mxzx440/small bike.jpg
98mxzx...

I don't think that bike qualifies as a duel-sporter [;)]

And try to keep your pictures 600x600 eh.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Hey mxzx

The only reason I said that is that the orginal post said, and I quote, "Any other dual-sport riders out there?"

So I'm scrolling down and all of a sudden [:0] there's this 10,000x6,000 pic of a mx'er.

Mostly, I was just bustin your chops [:p]

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
i know.....i was just sayin that i didnt think it had to be a dual sport.My bad though.Sry about the large pic.Its not that large though!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Whats wrong with the picture size (Doesn't everyone have 22" monitor running at 1600x1200) LOL
It is kind of a large pic. Nice bike though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts