Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why in 4th gear my truck tops out at 2900 RPMs? It hits 2900RPMs and 80 on the speedo and that is it nothing more. It is a 4 speed manual transmission with a 5L(305) Chevy Small Block. It has a good amount of power in first, second, and third and also hits well over 5000 rpms in those gears but in 4th it just stops at 2900. It is a 1984 with no computer so I don't see how it would have a speed limiter. Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
first thing i would do is a complete tranny flush and fill filter change and all the good noise. the chevy 305 wasnt the greatest motor to begin with either. it could possibly be the gearing in the rearend. with the final drive it has that could be all it has in 4th.my newly aquired 89 suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 350/auto and pulls hard all the way to 85 then just slowly goes up to about95mph then sits there at about 3800-4000 rpm

Bobby
My wife said its Her or the sleds........ I'm sure gonna miss her

Stop Inbreeding....... Ban country Music

·
Registered
529 Posts
The 305 wasn't all that bad but they sure arn't like the 350. If you are running oversized tires that will effect what the motor can turn. Speedo's will not be acurate either with oversized tires till you recalibrate them.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
277 Posts
Guess what? You have no problem. All GM automatic overdrive transmissions do this. You have a 700 4R tranny in your truck. When the truck reaches high speeds in overdrive, the pressure builds, when it gets to a certain pressure, it will shift down to 3rd or drive as it may be. This is so you will not burn out the overdrive portion of the trans (plates, packs). The only way to overide this is to bring it to a GOOD transmission shop who knows how to modify transmissions. A shop that has some drag racing or any racing experiance and knows the right way to do it. On the new GM vehicles that are electronically controlled it is easy to reprogram the trans. Dont worry, because your tranny is working the way it was designed to. Later.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
i bet that's all she's got, what did you expect from a chevy 305 in a truck???

lol.

Shit, my accord will do over a hundred :) on 140HP and 2.2 liters. And I don't consider it fast at all. Trust me, i have done a hundred, and it could use a stiffer suspension!

we had a 4.0 ranger, and it topped out at about 90mph with the sled trailer on the back and two sleds on. THat's pedal to the floor. We usually go about 70-75 though, saves ALOT of gas

-Dean

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by ripperd2:
i bet that's all she's got, what did you expect from a chevy 305 in a truck???

lol.

[/quote]

uhh....better edit that and put IMO or sumtin...

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ripperd2 - 90 in a ranger, in the winter, with 2 sleds behind you!!!!!!!!! What roads do you travel because I want to stay off them. I could see 90 on the sled with a ranger following you. Now that sounds like fun.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by MAYDAZE:
Guess what? You have no problem. All GM automatic overdrive transmissions do this. You have a 700 4R tranny in your truck. When the truck reaches high speeds in overdrive, the pressure builds, when it gets to a certain pressure, it will shift down to 3rd or drive as it may be. This is so you will not burn out the overdrive portion of the trans (plates, packs). The only way to overide this is to bring it to a GOOD transmission shop who knows how to modify transmissions. A shop that has some drag racing or any racing experiance and knows the right way to do it. On the new GM vehicles that are electronically controlled it is easy to reprogram the trans. Dont worry, because your tranny is working the way it was designed to. Later.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'
[/quote]

Hey man he said 4 speed MANUAL not an auto. my suburban has the 700 R4 tranny

Bobby
My wife said its Her or the sleds........ I'm sure gonna miss her

Stop Inbreeding....... Ban country Music

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would guess the tranny is OK but the rear end is geared way low. Is is a 4 speed with no over drive meaning 5th gear? Also when tacometer says 2900 is the pedal to the floor?

I know this is no comparison but I had an '89 S-10 4x4 with the 2.8 v-6, 5-speed manual and 3.73 rear end. I was lucky if I could do 85 with the pedal to the floor. That was on the interstate, the wind blowing behind me, and on a straight away. What a dog!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hey SD,
Sure sounds like you have a governor or rev limiter on that truck of yours.
Keeps ppl from driv'n their trucks like maniacs.
Where you going in such a hurry.
Hey ripperd2......we are all real impressed.....OK.....take it down a notch or 2.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry dude, I must have splashed some beer in my eyes and didn't read that part. If its a manual trans and thats all it will do, JUNK THAT GUTLESS P.O.S. 305 AND GET A REAL MOTOR! Sorry but I hate 305's. Later.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
artic-cat-guy - yes, very IMHO of course :)

I only meant it as a little chevy jab. If it was a newer chev i'd think it would go past 80 too, but it's prolly pretty tired and old.

my buddie had a 87 bronco (fullsize), with a 302, and it would hit 85 max going downhill. 80mph on level ground. We thought it'd go faster too.... It did have close to 200,000 on it though.

razor - we had a crappy winter here in MN, i can only think of a few days when there WAS snow on the freeways. And i don't drive that fast all the time. Ya gotta see what it'll do, be it a car, boat, sled, bike, or truck.

-Dean

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by ripperd2:

Shit, my accord will do over a hundred :) on 140HP and 2.2 liters. And I don't consider it fast at all. Trust me, i have done a hundred, and it could use a stiffer suspension!

we had a 4.0 ranger, and it topped out at about 90mph with the sled trailer on the back and two sleds on. THat's pedal to the floor. We usually go about 70-75 though, saves ALOT of gas

-Dean

[/quote]

LOL, i couldn't resist, but i just gotta poke at you a bit....out of a good heart.

My roomates' 2.0L Eclipse GSX hit 160 mph with me in it, and a close friend of mine also had his 1.3 Liter RX7 up to 176 mph while fleeing from a Chrystler 300M that was chasing him for miles and wouldn't leave him alone. Obviously the 300M couldn't keep up. Whew! What a rush...!

It's amazing how such tiny engines can do so much.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
how far does a concrete wall move if you hit it at 176mph??

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
nah, we are only concerned about sled-brand-bashing.

well...

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by SledHead:
how far does a concrete wall move if you hit it at 176mph??

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT
[/quote]

im sure there is a very good reasonable mathematical equation for this.....as my chemistry teacher would say.....and it has to be his way..or no way...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
LOL, your right! There is an equation using the laws of physics, but i don't feel like pulling out my notes...........hehe. All i remember is that for a double increase in speed, you need quadrupple the force opposing it to stop. Um, it would hurt in any case.....

My guess: the concrete wall would win! That's obvious.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i dont think it would hurt, u wouldnt feel much of nething for a long time after that.......

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I know the 305 sucks. I hate it, but I am still not certain it is a 305. I am like 60% sure it is a 305. Anyway, I put in a new fuel filter and it has more power through first and second gear but nothing more in 3rd or 4th. And I don't know it may be the gearing. I have a 3.73 rear with 33" tires. I know my speedo is wrong. I figured when it indicates 80 I am actually doing 90. I just read my gear ratio chart and it says I should be pulling 2400 rpms so I am actually pulling more then that says.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Hmm, how far does it move the block? Depends upon the mass of the block. Want something more interesting? say the block doesn't move, and it only takes the car 3 meters to decellerate to 0m/s. That would make your decelleration a VERY high number, and correspondingly, the F=MA will tell us that the force of impact is extremely high. Plenty more than what the human body could withstand.

I obviously am paying too much attention in physics class right now. I got formula's running from my head like diarrea.

-Dean

1 - 20 of 29 Posts