Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am 13 5'10" 155 pounds and need a bike. something used but nice condition. what could i get for 500 dollar$.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Iv got a nice 50cc moped ill sell you for $500, it goes 28MPH and gets 100MPG..The chicks will love it..[:)]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, any one have an older bike for sale, not asking something for racing, just something to ride on trails and stuff.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Dude, your gonna be hard-pressed to find a decent dirtbike for $500. It's either gonna need a some work, or is going to cause you some headaches soon.

I just picked up this bike for $1,200. Not the fastest or the best handling, but should be fairly dependable engine wise. Also, for comparison, my bud just sold his '97 CR125, with fresh top end and lots of goodies (bars, reeds, piped, etc..) for $1,700. So, seems to me $1,000 - $2,000 would be the range to find something half-ass decent. $500 and you might just be pissing your money away.

Also, check ebay and cycletrader to get some ideas what $500 will get ya and post back here cause I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Sell the ATV, keep the sled, and get yourself a nice used KDX 200/220. Just IMO.

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/dr 02-02-03.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i'll be getting the honda crf230f brand new, unless i find a 2003 with no mile on the dealers floor.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by chase73
[br]why 4 stroke ??????
For woods riding I'll never ride anything BUT a four stroke again. I find the low end to be much more trail friendly. Plus I've found engine problems to be almost non-existant with todays thumpers. Plus, great gas milage. The can-am guy below has to stash a can of pre-mixed gas out on the trail. Makes for a good laugh for the rest of us.

Of the six guys that I ride with every other weekend, five of us ride thumpers now. The sixth guy rides a can-am 500, probably the most un-friendly trail machine I've ever riden.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I raced enduro's for a few years, and my '96 Honda XR250R (4-stroke) got me into the Junior A class. Now that I am 18 tho, I dont know where it will land me. It was just as competative as the 2-strokes, if not better on the harder terrain. Sure they weighed a lot less, but I wasnt constantly out of control. One race in partiular I dominated my class (at the time it was Junior B) by a LOT (and I mean by pretty much a whole lap if my memory suits me). It was incredibly rocky and rooty terrain. So pretty much, the tighter and harder a course is, the better a 4-stroke will do because that was the only race I ever got 1st on. As far as snowmobiles go, nothing but 2 stroke these days :) You dont have to worry about all the hard rocks and stuff, or balance so general speed and smoothness of trails is improved greatly. plus weight is a much bigger issue IMHO for snowmobiles because they are natrually heavier and in a much worse substance to get stuck in.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
because 4- stroke idle and 2-stroke don...and if ur trail ridin and woods u want to be able to stop without revvin,revvin,revvin etc

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by 98mxzx440
[br]because 4- stroke idle and 2-stroke don...and if ur trail ridin and woods u want to be able to stop without revvin,revvin,revvin etc...
...and feathering the clutch, feathering the clutch, feathering the clutch etc

·
Registered
150 Posts
true enough. I remember at the races I would have to rev my bike sometimes just to make sure it was running, I couldnt hear it over the 2 strokes. It depends on the application, if your just gonna ride trails, I would go 4-stroke, they are quite, smooth, and have a real long and smooth power band. But if you are gonna be doing Motocross or what not, then get a 2-stroke. Also I never had a problem with the engine on my 4-stroke and I heard once that its a good idea to rebuild a 2-stroke dirtbike engine every year. 2-strokes are just more expensive/time consuming, so it really depends on what your going to be doing with it. $500 doesnt sound like you want a competative machine, so I would go 4-stroke, its the cheapest way I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts