Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I REALLY want more power from my sled this year. I dont have 3000 to just blow on a sled and then go through that. Plus I love my ZR 500 so much that after the motor blows I'm going to but 600 jugs and pistons in, but anyways, I need help with performance options. Whats out there to do to this thing? I know clutching and I've been looking at a few different companies, what would you guys recommend? Can I put reeds into it also because its a efi sled, if so what brand? And the BIGGEST problem I had with the sled the last time I rode it was when I was cruising and then hit 50-60 it just bogs, backfires, and won't let me get over that until I let off the gas, let it cruise and then give it gas and most of the time it runs great again for about 15-30 mintues. It starts up first-second pull and idles great. I found out that my clutch spring was broke in half so I replaced it with another stock one and got all new bushings and things for it and put that back on about 2 months ago and it doesn't take a second to kick in now, so I hope that was the take-off problem I had last year. So guys please help me get more performance out of the sled. Give me websites or even guide me on the site to this stuff cause it's taking me awhile to just look around on here to research information on here, SO MANY FORUMS, thanks for all the help and information guys.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Usually backfiring is caused from being lean. So when you hit a 50-60 you might be hitting a lean spot and may have to rejet.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
A lean spot on an efi sled? That's weird, I might go about asking a dealer about backfiring on a efi sled as that's really weird. Goodwin performance is supposed to have a pretty good clutch kit.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Yes, you can add reeds to an EFI. I had VForce reeds in my '98 ZR6 EFI and ended up taking them out. They caused a bad bog off the line that instantly went away when I went back to the stock reeds. I've always said they are not worth the money anyway; they offer very little benefit for the cost.

Alot of people ran a D&D or Black Magic pipe/chip combo on them. Personally, I am running a D&D single pipe/can, chip, and clutch kit. There was a significant improvement throughout the powerband, but also had to fork out $800 or something to do so (a number of years ago mind you). The main problem is that most aftermarket companies no longer make parts for these sleds, thus finding parts is very difficult...they are used, and few and far between.

If you wanted more power, there were a few 680 bigbore kits out there. They are also very hard to come by, and will cost even more money.

I realize it's probably not what you want to hear, but in this day and age, your best bet is to save your money and just ride your sled. Start putting money away for a higher powered sled in the future.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if I put money away its going into the house fund to get a house, so I got to get this sled the way I want too so I just have something to have fun on. I'm not looking for performance like a 1000 would do, just want something with a lil more balls. If I just clutched it, would I get a better throttle response? I'm not looking at putting 1000 bucks into it either, just about 500 by the time winter hits. And now for that bogging issue, efi's have jets too?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
No, EFI's do not have jets. Somebody was misinformed by making that statement.

Clutching will help you get what power you do have to the ground. It may not necessarily give you better throttle response, but depending on how you clutch it, may give you quicker acceleration.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay what clutch kit would be the best for the buck?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Everybody seems to have a different opinion on clutch kits. I'm running D&D's kit. I only purchased it because I figured it would be setup best for their pipe and chip, which as I stated, I also have. Aside from having no issues with mine, I have read good reviews on the D&D kits on other forums. They seem to have one of the cheaper kits on the market, coming in around $200.

I have also read decent reviews on EPI, Goodwin, and Black Magic (which is no longer in business mind you).

Any reputable company should yield an improvement over stock though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I heard from the sled part store here, they told me comet went out of business, is this true? Dad always had them on his sleds and loved the product, wouldn't mind keeping with them

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'd just save your money, with $500 you will get some improvement but its not life-changing, a clutch would be the best all around one though. But i'd rather have a little less power but still have all the reliability. What mods i would go for if you still want to do some is something like upgraded skis+carbides and a track, if you search good you should be able to get all that for around $500 maybe a tad more.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The track is good, the skis are good, and the suspension has all be rebuilt. I'm not going to dump that kind of things into the sled it handles great, quick, but im just looking at a better throttle response, thats ALL.

·
Registered
863 Posts
clutching and also maybe gearing if your not to worried about top speed.
drop the top (?) tooth a few teeth. its pretty cheap aswell.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My mistake, didn't pay attention to the fact that he said efi. My apologies.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The high speed coil on your stator is probably going bad. Even if your engine has a large load on it, due to clutch or gearing problems, it should not back fire at 50-60 mph..

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It may also be the throttle pin bushings needing replacement.
They are a little white plastic washer that stabilize the pin indexing.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you want it to "rip" faster and your not worried about going fast, then gear your sled for acceleration.

Your right..They are a hell of a fun sled even though the power to weight ratio sucks and the powder shoveling is bad. I just sold my 99 ZR 500 EFI last fall and that was one of the most fun sleds i've owned!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thundercat- Ya I was thinking that, im going to pick one up and if goes out, then all i have to is take my out one put my new one in it, then having to wait on the part

Will- Ya just something to ride. I love the sled im the only one last year that got suck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ArcticCatzr500 said:
Thundercat- Ya I was thinking that, im going to pick one up and if goes out, then all i have to is take my out one put my new one in it, then having to wait on the part

Will- Ya just something to ride. I love the sled im the only one last year that got suck.
Good luck with it, but just in case you didn't know. The last few years us snowmobilers with stator problems have two great guys rebuilding them. Blaine in the US. and Kev here in Canada. They both do great work and will help you diagnose if there is a problem. You can find them on several different snowmobile forums. I myself am very satisfied with the great stator work I've had done on my T-cat. A rebuilt one is much better than a used one because you never know how near death it is when you buy it. I've learned that from experience. I bought several on ebay in the past that didn't last very long.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
OldCatRider said:
It may also be the throttle pin bushings needing replacement.
They are a little white plastic washer that stabilize the pin indexing.
VERY TRUE right here, i would check that out.
Clutching, and i would definitly consider gearing. And i always think of it this way, less weight = better sled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts