Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking to buy a 1998 Polaris xlt 600. It has almost 6500 miles which is alot i know, but im only paying 650. I hade him do a compresson test on all three cylinders and they are 105. Is that a safe number or not worth it?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
There's several ways to do a test.

Cold: I would say there starting to get pretty low, you will at least need rings and gaskets kit.?????

Warm: should be good??????

Others probably can give you a better idea.

What kind of cond is the sled in???

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
105 is on the low side but id run it for a year. 6500 isnt really alot for a xlt. i know guys who go over 10k and they still ride it every year. should be around 125 psi on 3 hard pulls on each cylendar. if the compression is same all the way across id run it. but again it depends on how hard you pull and how many times. what is the condition of the rest of the sled? was it taken care of? or was it beat? have to consider the pro's and con's of its condition to get a good idea of how it was used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rest of the sled is pretty good, i mean theres a few small rips in the seat and a small crack in the hood but that was all that i saw.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the big thing is that all 3 are close, 105 means nothing becuase we dont know if his guage is any good, I bought a brand new gauge and it reads high.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
^^^ That's why I said to rip on it, all 3 are the same.

Plus, readings can also be different if you don't pull all the plugs when testing. Or if you test it with the throttle open vs closed. Or if you're stronger or weaker than the next guy pulling the rope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
talleyhojo12 said:
So im looking to buy a 1998 Polaris xlt 600. It has almost 6500 miles which is alot i know, but im only paying 650. I hade him do a compresson test on all three cylinders and they are 105. Is that a safe number or not worth it?
I have the same sled that I bought new. It has 7100 miles on it and I get 110 in each cylinder, but she still runs like a top. Run it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts