Snowmobile Fanatics banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today at the Fremont snowmobile show, I had to make a stop over at Als Snowmobile and they had a sled I seemed to like.

2004 Polaris ProXr 440. He said it was trail converted. Does that mean it has different heads, or different domes, or adjusted timing?

As far as being a trail sled goes, this seemed to be a pure race bred machine which was not good for sit down riding in anyway. Is it one of those things where you have to actually use it to get a feel for it? I dont want to buy a sled and not want to ride it on the trails.

This sled is 100% spotless. Doesnt seem to have ever had a drop of oil on the belly pan even.

I would never touch an 03' and down ProX but this 04' really caught my eye.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think I heard they have bearing problems. But don't quote me on that how much are they asking?

If you wanted to trail ride that you would want to put a bigger gas tank on it for sure.

I have had a few pro x's they like gas quite a bit too at least mine did.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snowmobileguy said:
I think I heard they have bearing problems. But don't quote me on that how much are they asking?

If you wanted to trail ride that you would want to put a bigger gas tank on it for sure.

I have had a few pro x's they like gas quite a bit too at least mine did.
The fuel tank is no big deal. Easy and somewhat cheap to replace.

Is the bearing problem fixable by adding oil injection or something along those lines.

And any 440 is going to be bad on gas. I just heard this machine is completely different than an 03 and it seems it.

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
If you want a good trail sled I wouldnt be messing around with a Race 440. Buy something purpose built for what you plan on using it for and leave it at that.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The XR was the last year Polaris had the pro x on the tracks. If the sled is trail converted it means that instead of running race gas it can run pump gas. I believe the XR steering setup was more over the gas tank vs the pro-x's before it. As for it being a trail sled I would not mind taking it on the trails, but that is just me. You should be able to re-valve the shocks for a better trail ride, get a bigger tank, and possibly get an edge seat or even a boss seat. How much were they asking for this sled? I am sure somebody that owns a pro-x can verify or add to what I said

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
sledcrusher said:
So, today at the Fremont snowmobile show, I had to make a stop over at Als Snowmobile and they had a sled I seemed to like.

2004 Polaris ProXr 440. He said it was trail converted. [highlight=yellow]Does that mean it has different heads, or different domes, or adjusted timing?[/highlight=yellow]
As far as being a trail sled goes, this seemed to be a pure race bred machine which was not good for sit down riding in anyway. Is it one of those things where you have to actually use it to get a feel for it? I dont want to buy a sled and not want to ride it on the trails.

This sled is 100% spotless. Doesnt seem to have ever had a drop of oil on the belly pan even.

I would never touch an 03' and down ProX but this 04' really caught my eye.
How the heck would we know how extensive the conversion is??

What would your plans be with this one?? You would be dropping down a level suspension wise from your revs but I think you already know that. The 800 had crank issues supposedly...I had an 03' 800 and it was fine though.

So the million dollar question... How are you planning on financing this deal?? Trading a few lawnmowers and the cd player outta your durango?? Oh, and did your dad re-roof his shack yet. If yes, please post pics. Being a roofer myself, I like seeing a total dump go from crap to "presentable" when new shingles are put on.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not a trail machine, for one, the motor is a gas hog, nothing you can do about that, two, the 440's do not like to be held at the same throttle level for more extended periods, and the crank bearings that come in the sled were poor quality, and the oil passageways for the bottom end were not big enough, leading to the bearings overheating and breaking the cages. Adding oil injection will not solve that problem either.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've owned 440's. And I know about them being a gas hog, being stiff, etc... I'm just wondering about riding position mostly. Would my best bet motor wise be to drop an 06' IQ 440 engine in? Does the 04' ProX2 gas tank fit this, or do I have to buy one just for this chassis?

·
Registered
350 Posts
You have had enough sleds to already know the answers. So why ask when you are just going to do what your going to do anyway. [confused]

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
LMFAO...His "current sled" reads...?IQ440?

Does this brilliant person think a prox is an IQ?

sledcrusher said:
I've owned 440's. And I know about them being a gas hog, being stiff, etc... I'm just wondering about riding position mostly. Would my best bet motor wise be to drop an 06' IQ 440 engine in? Does the 04' ProX2 gas tank fit this, or do I have to buy one just for this chassis?
Yep, you'd better put an 06 440 in it. PFFFT!
I take it your daddy is still in his coma...either that or he has NO CLUE on the crap you post here. If he does allow this to happen as he has in the past he's got to have his head examined.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
How comical is this....
The kid was at a show TODAY, and hours later he's asking us if he should drop an 06 mill into a sled he doesn't even own LOL

·
Registered
195 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
How comical is this....
The kid was at a show TODAY, and hours later he's asking us if he should drop an 06 mill into a sled he doesn't even own LOL
there is a a good saying for this: don't count your chicken before they hatch

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
I think you got your answers,if you were serious about it go talk to the owner himself and sit on it if you were right there anyways. For as many sleds as you have owned it blows my mind you still have to come on here and ask these kinds of questions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.