Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard that gearing down a little will give you a little more spunk on the trails is that true will you lose any top end by doing that and how do you do that how many teeth do you drop to do this any info would be much appreciated thanx 97 xlt

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I know if you drop 1 tooth on the top gear you will gain midrange power but lose a very little bit of top end speed.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if you have a stock engine I would drop an easy 2 teeth on the top sprocket. you should lose almost nothing on top end because you never shift all the way out. check your rpms before and after you gear it if they come up a little wich they might not but if they do you could go up to the next helix if you have a 46-34 you might be able to pull a 48-34 if that might be to much then a 46-36 would be better. it pulls the same at the start but a little harder in the mid to top bringing up the top end a little. the gearing alone should make a little faster .

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
on my 91 polaris 500 I dropped 4 gears. It was slower on the bottom but same on the top. It was weird. Just experiment with different gears and see what you like best.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Don't forget, if you drop 2 gears, your chain might become too long. You should check for recommended gearing from a book somewhere. If the tightener is in too far, the chain goes at weird angles, and it's hard on it.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just a small tidbit of information. I pulled this from my setup book on a 2001 z-440 snopro fan.
a 21-37 gearing combo has a ratio of .568 and at 7500 rmp you will have a mph of 81.79, this is with 1 to 1 ratios of the clutches. this same ratio with overdrive on the clutches which is just a little more shift out will reach a mph of 91.60
A 20-37 gearing combo which is 1 tooth lower on the top has a ratio of .5405 and reaches a mph of 77.83 at 1 to 1 ratio of the clutches and 7500 rpm. This same ratio with overdrive is 87.17 mph

This is all done with mathematics, and cannot be wrong. Math doesn't lie, or so I'm told. So as you see 1 gear doesn't lose much if you consider 4 mph to not be much.

And i haven't even talked about the clutching needed to make this gearing switch work. But for a trail sled you would not need to clutch for the gearing change.

Also for the guy who dropped 4 gears on the 500, you didn't say which gears you dropped, but unless you dropped the bottom gear by 4 you DID lose speed on top end.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Math is all well and good if your comparing the different ratios with the clutches at 1:1. But the way the lower gear ratio affects the way your clutches shift is the real advantage in my opionion. If you don't always have to room/power to get the clutches topped off, then your just wasting that much performace from your clutch.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
4 on the bottom. All the mathematics can give you a basis but you need to actually try them. You'll also need enough Hp if you change it around too much.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I had a 95 xlt I put a pile of miles on a 20 tooth top sprocket and it ran great. it went corner to corner a lot better. I think I might have a new one in my box if it is the same style chain as your 97 you can have it to try ask your dealer if it will fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts