Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to this site and need advice.looking at 2 sleds,1 is a 1996 zrt 600 with 3100 miles the other is a 1995 wildcat 700 efi with 1100 miles,both are at a local dealer and price is about the same,both are very clean,the wildcat is studded,any advice or opinions?never had a triple,the dealer said the sleds are about the same in speed.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
wildcat has very few miles on it....im a fan of EFI, and from what ive heard, wildcats are pretty nice sleds, ZRT's are nice sleds too, this one has a few more miles than the wildcat so might be time for a rebuild, or maybe its already been done.....IMO

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
look for suspension. if one feels very tight and the other doesnt you know what one was rode hard.wildcats are a dime a dozen sled but it has low miles
dealer will clean the hell out of a beat sled look for signs of exessive cleaningcheck compresion for yourself dealers can be sneaky and will try to pull anything to you

Bobby
My wife said its Her or the sleds........ I'm sure gonna miss her

Stop Inbreeding....... Ban country Music

·
Registered
277 Posts
Depends on what you want to do. The ZRT will smoke the Wildcat, but the ZRT is a few pounds heavier. There are more aftermarket performance parts still available for the ZRT, but the low miles on the Wildkitty has its upside. Look them over real good, top to bottom. Just because one has higher miles means nothing. The big question is how was the sled driven for those miles. 3100 cruising miles or 1100 flat out, ditch banging, left outside every day, fill it up with gas and go miles. Pick a good one. Sled that is!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
134 Posts
if i was in your shoes i would go with the zrt...its a little newer...better suspension...they still make accessories for the zrt not saying they dont for the wildcat but they make a hell of a lot more for the zrt...and plus zrt's are still made and will proally be made for a while yet so u know u can still get parts for'em if needed

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i have ppl that i know that have those two exact same sleds......they are both really nice sleds...at least theirs is.....but if it was my choice....since they are both triples...i would go with the zrt....not because its faster or anything...but i just like the way they ride.......i know it has a lot of miles....but mine had just a tad more when i got it...and the only thing that has happened to mine is that i had to get a new crankshaft....but artic cat payed for it cause its not normal for crankshafts to break i gues.....and so the only money ive paid on the sled extra is gas and oil.....and oh yah...now my sled has 4200 miles on it...and it happened at 4000 miles......so u still have 900 miles if something would happen

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i have ppl that i know that have those two exact same sleds......they are both really nice sleds...at least theirs is.....but if it was my choice....since they are both triples...i would go with the zrt....not because its faster or anything...but i just like the way they ride.......i know it has a lot of miles....but mine had just a tad more when i got it...and the only thing that has happened to mine is that i had to get a new crankshaft....but artic cat payed for it cause its not normal for crankshafts to break i gues.....and so the only money ive paid on the sled extra is gas and oil.....and oh yah...now my sled has 4200 miles on it...and it happened at 4000 miles......so u still have 900 miles if something would happen

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
whats the big difference in the ZRT that would make it faster than the wildcat??

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
ummm....K

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
777 Posts
sledhead,i asume the ,ummm ,was meant for me,was just going to point out to zr580efi a 95 wildcat is a twin,
to bad its not a 94 700 carb,thats a rocket

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is a pic of the triple in my 1997 Polaris Indy Ultra SP. There are all sorts of opinions and/or arguments regarding twins vs triples. Triples are supposed to run smoother, but sometimes have trouble with the center piston in terms of adequate cooling. My sled had 5400 miles on it and still runs and sounds great! I am the second owner. I know the first owner personally. . . he used to be my boss. He takes care of all his toys and keeps them in impeccable condition. I guess regular maintainence is the key.
My own feelings about the manufacturers shying away from triples is quite simply economics. With today's technology regarding insulating materials etc. I would say that the newer twins run just as smooth. The fuel mileage on a twin may be perhaps a little better.

/snofan/../images/users/kimba466/PolarisUltraTriple.jpg

All in all, I guess it's a matter of personal preference and how big your wallet is.

Kimba466

1 - 12 of 12 Posts