Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last year my A/C jag had a problem of wanting to plow rather than turn, to turn it you almost have to slow and hang way off the seat to edge it to turn, im in need of some advise on how to cure this problem, i should say it has ski skins and brand new hard bars, i have checked the skis for parallel and they are right on , now ive been told that i should run carbides will this help? what size?, ive read that for my 440 i shouldnt run more than 4''? also ive heard that i should double nut the runner under the ski to extend the runner into the snow deeper to get more turn from it ? is this true? any advise would help, just wanna be in top shape before the snow flies.

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
yah i would say that is a problem....i guess it also matters in what type of stuff you are riding on too....if your mainly in powder the ski should do fine...but if you are on a trail that is packed pretty good....the carbides can really help....im sprprised you dont already have them?.....but oh well....i dont know...if you want...maybe get some plastic skis too.....i like them a lot better then metal skis....imo....but hey...id try the carbides...and im pretty sure that should do the trick

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
and i dont know...maybe your weight isnt distributed right on your sled.....like not enough weight on your skis....just a guess....not a expert...i know my essentials and thats what i go on....anything else....i stop and ask my dealer on his opinion....but yah just a guess

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

·
Registered
206 Posts
My wife has a 97 Jag 440 that was having the same problem last year. We put 6 in carbides on it and never had a problem after that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i was also thinking maybe u have too much weight in the front...also what is the year of the sled??...because the older sleds mainly run wearbars and newer sleds run carbides but many peoplle put carbides on the older sleds to enhance steering...i know thats common sense but im just saying...try carbides then get back to us and tell us how they work

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Carbides yes for sure.....dual runner skis if you need new skis anyway.
My first guess was that there is not enough weight over the skis alowing them to bite into the trail.
I don't know about Jags, but my XC's rear suspension can be adjusted to put more weight up front for better handling, or rearward for better traction.
Good luck..........brrrrrr it's getting cold here.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would go with new skis like C&A pro and maybe 4 inch carbides. But it also sound like you should checkthe couple in the rear end. It sound you have too much ski pressure. You might try if it has it is to lose the limit strap on the rear skid But do small adjust at a time. This is something to try? Good luck

TEAM BLUE SAID WIND IT UP BABY

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ok guys, no offense, but I do not feel that plastic ski's are going to help his problem much if at all. First thing to check which you already did is to check your ski alignment. Next thing is to add more weight on the skis. This can be done by reducing spring tension on the front of the skid or limiting the front of the skids travel with limiter straps. You might also want to try adding more spring tension to the ski's. Now if this doesnt help, yes carbides are going to help, but these cost money and the first few tips are freebies. And if your track isnt studded then 4" of carbide will be plenty. If your track is studded, you should be running at least 6" or more depending on the # of studs.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool you guys are pretty sled savy, i found that the front of the track was adjusted way too tight probally not giving the skis enough pressure to turn the sled, but i also think im gonna get a set of 6" carbides, because my track is studed with like 48 studs, if its too much i can always tighten up the front tension i guess, what do you guys think?, remember im new to this sledding thing last year when i bought this thing i didnt even know that you could adjust tension,

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
According to the Dennis Kirk Catalog 4" carbides should be enough for 48 studs. The key is balance you don't want too much bite in the front or back.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Righ on the money P-XLTSP, balance is truly the key.
Riding a studed sled without carbides on an icy trail is like driving
an F1 race car with passenger radials on the front....no front end control.
I mostly ride cross-country and some trails, so I ride studless with just steel wearbars,
and unless I cross lots of pavement I can get a full winter out of a set of steel skags.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts