Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Im brand new to snowmobiles but I just moved to Colorado and I really want to get into the sport but I dont know to much about what to start with. If you guys could give me some info on a sled thats pretty fast for all aroud riding your help would be much apprieciated.

Thanx

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well being in CO, I'd assume you'd want some sort of Mt. sled, because of all the deep snow out there.

Polaris: RMK
SkiDoo: Summit
Arctic Cat: Powder Special, or Mountain Cat (I forget)
Yamaha: Mountain Max

I really don't have any experience with these sleds, becaues I don't ride in those conditions. But there are those here that do. You might want to check out the Mountain riding secition of this forum as well, and welcome!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the help.

But also in the summer time I head to Oregon. And I was wondering if a Mt. Sled would hold up on the dunes?

Any help is aprieciated

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
When Tfin mentioned an Mt. sled, he was speaking of a mountain sled, those are set up for deep snow, generaly lighter, narrower and with a very aggressive deep lug paddle track. Please explain "dunes", is that as in sand?
If so the term is SNOWmobile, though some watercrossers and grassdraggers here will disagree with me, this is a winter sport.
As far as fast, anything liquid cooled is going to be very quick, generally large engines cost more to buy and feed, but if you got the $ go for the larger twins, especially for mountain riding.
Cheers.

Ride to ride again.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I wouldn't consider the Mountain Max if you are going Yamaha. It is a good sled but now that the Mountain Viper is out that would be the ticket for deep snow mountain riding from yamaha anyway. And Cat's sleds are just the Mountain Cats now not the Powder Specials. And I could see sand making it into your bogey wheels and lots of items messing your bearings up. Not 100% if it would happen but no way would I risk it. And Snowmobile is as long a sport as you make it! (grassdragger)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i'd have to agree a sled (especially liquid cooled) wouldn't hold up long on sand. as for which mountain sled, all the manufacturers make a great sled for any beginning rider. starts with a 600. that's plenty of power for most any rider.

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
oh yeah beginner. For Beginner a mountain max would be the way to go if you wanetd a Yamaha. Got to just look at each sled and how much it costs and what you need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts