Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,m currently rebuilding a 700 ves/600 ves engine,and particularly the 700 im working on has a gear attached to the flywheel,that drives a belt to another gear that drives the coolant pump,and also drives the oil pump attached to the same driven shaft....now when you use the push button reverse,and the motor stops then restarts in reverse,how the hell does the coolant impeller,that is now running in reverse pump coolant,and more importantly,the oil pump will also be running in reverse.my experience with pumps are that they work properly in one direction only....thus it would seem like they wouldn,t work in reverse, i tried running the oil pump with a cordless,and no pumping action only in forward`..no coolant flow?no lube?just curious,i thought it was a good question..any opinions?[confused]

·
Registered
380 Posts
An engine can only run one way

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
dirtydan said:
not true, yes perc does run the motor in reverse, on the last upstroke of the compression the cdi fires and it switches the direction of the runs the motor in reverse, thats why if you are putting reverse on an 03 and older sled (like my edge) you would need a reversible oil pump, the beauty of 2 strokes,

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Wrong^, the motor does run backwards. They make 2 different oil pumps, one that works with reverse and one that doesn't. If you don't think your oil pump is the correct one I would be looking for a new one that fits and works properly in reverse. As far as coolant, it should still move some, and most people don't leave their sleds in reverse for extended periods of time so cooling shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
dirtydan said:
Vary false, maybe a 4 stroke can only run one way, but 2-Strokes can run any way.

Even sideways...... [thumb]

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
dirtydan said:
^^^ he's wrong not me [thumb]

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well I guess im the baboon a** on this one, Ive never heard of such a thing, unless an engine "deisels" Well Ill be danged--sorry sloth I feel pretty dumb.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
bj.hardy said:
dirtydan said:
Sorry, I must have been typing at the same time you were, didn't even realize I pointed at you.

DirtyDan, your not a baboon, everybody's been wrong before but it's all a part of learning. Don't take it to heart.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
powdermadd440 said:
bj.hardy said:
dirtydan said:
Sorry, I must have been typing at the same time you were, didn't even realize I pointed at you.

DirtyDan, your not a baboon, everybody's been wrong before but it's all a part of learning. Don't take it to heart.

lol no problem, just wanted to make sure there wasnt any confusion [:D]

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
powdermadd440 said:
Wrong^, the motor does run backwards. They make 2 different oil pumps, one that works with reverse and one that doesn't. If you don't think your oil pump is the correct one I would be looking for a new one that fits and works properly in reverse. As far as coolant, it should still move some, and most people don't leave their sleds in reverse for extended periods of time so cooling shouldn't be a problem.
That's correct. I put PERC on an 02 and I just added an 03+ oil pump for lube. Worked great. The best mod I did on my sled.

FYI- 02 and older oil pumps are one way. 03+ are reversable.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigrok said:
powdermadd440 said:
That's correct. I put PERC on an 02 and I just added an 03+ oil pump for lube. Worked great. The best mod I did on my sled.

FYI- 02 and older oil pumps are one way. 03+ are reversable.

Thanks to all,as always.....and right we all learn things as we go along....thats why this site is so great..kudos[thumb]

·
Registered
52 Posts
dirtydan said:
Well I guess im the baboon a** on this one, Ive never heard of such a thing, unless an engine "deisels" Well Ill be danged--sorry sloth I feel pretty dumb.
"Dieseling" is also something that can happen to both 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Typically happens when the motor is so hot that the fuel in the combustion chamber self-ignites, without spark, just like a diesel. You know this is happening if you turn of the motor and it keeps running.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
quick question, how can you tell a reversible oil pump apart from a regular one?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah my first rig was an 81 datsun pickup and I remember after shutting down it would deisel, and if I let the clutch go while it was doing it in 1st gear it would go backwards, really confusing when I was 16. that sure is cool technology that skidoo came up with!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts