Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys first time here. long time sledhead. I have a skidoo 96 583 two yars ago in cadilac while trail riding it I shut it off for a break. tried to restart it . no luck. acted flooded. ok so I drag it to the road. load it up take it back home. once i got it home I found the aftermarket rotary valve to be busted. so I thought no biggie that is the problem so i put the factory back in. still would not run. so i tore the engine down after seeing that that fine 57 dollar carbon fiber rotary valve had chewed up the case halves as well as the intake manifold. so I ordered a new intake and had the block milled back to flat Ok new seals throughout and had the cylinders honed. put all back together. it fired up i drove it about a mile and pulled it back into the garage , it died. would not restart. so i said sit there P>O>S> i tried later. if it starts on first attemp it will run and idel if not it seems to flood out. but if i spray starting fluid into the carbs it will start but acts loaded up. today i started it up after pulling my butt off. and finally eithering it. and this was from dry carbs, and it still acted flooded. I have installed a new fuel pump. thinking it was leaking into the crankcase. it runs fine as froghair out in the field. but it will not idel after warmed up and ridden. and absolutely will not restart without eithering it. and holding throttle wide open till it cleans itself out. I am out of ideas.. can anyone help a guy out here?thanks Eric, Martinsville Indiana

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about. The 95 583 that I own was purchased second hand, I stole it basicaly. I got it so cheap because it never ran quite right or at all for that much.
I know this is going to sound way off after all you have done, but the symptoms are alike.
Try this Simple test Remove the drive belt and see if she starts. There is a good chance the shims are not properly installed on the clutch. (2) do you have the correct belt on it? I found after alot of Money in engine parts that if the drive belt touches too much, and that was just a little The sled was a bitch to start and ran at high RPM only at low RPM needed to keep the throttle on.

Bottom line the person before me bought an aftermarket belt. He had a problem so instead of replceing the belt OEM he reshimed the clutch. It never ran quite right. I buy it and my daughter smokes the belt, I put an OEM belt on it never runs right or starts without either. I shim the clutch properly and (it still floods easy) but now it starts 9 out of 10 times and has no problem at idle.

I truely hope this is what is wrong for you it sure does sound like it.

"Meaningless Ride"

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Also may want to check needle valves in the carbs to make sure that they arent dumping gas into the cylinders when the engine is off.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It may be alot of different things. try eliminating as much as possible, at least it is a start.

"Meaningless Ride"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try loosening and retorque your head bolts in the correct pattern, maybe your sucking air. Did you try a compression check?

He who loves not his country can love nothing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Ericjeper:

ok guys first time here. long time sledhead. I have a skidoo 96 583 two yars ago in cadilac while trail riding it I shut it off for a break. tried to restart it . no luck. acted flooded. ok so I drag it to the road. load it up take it back home. once i got it home I found the aftermarket rotary valve to be busted. so I thought no biggie that is the problem so i put the factory back in. still would not run. so i tore the engine down after seeing that that fine 57 dollar carbon fiber rotary valve had chewed up the case halves as well as the intake manifold. so I ordered a new intake and had the block milled back to flat Ok new seals throughout and had the cylinders honed. put all back together. it fired up i drove it about a mile and pulled it back into the garage , it died. would not restart. so i said sit there P>O>S> i tried later. if it starts on first attemp it will run and idel if not it seems to flood out. but if i spray starting fluid into the carbs it will start but acts loaded up. today i started it up after pulling my butt off. and finally eithering it. and this was from dry carbs, and it still acted flooded. I have installed a new fuel pump. thinking it was leaking into the crankcase. it runs fine as froghair out in the field. but it will not idel after warmed up and ridden. and absolutely will not restart without eithering it. and holding throttle wide open till it cleans itself out. I am out of ideas.. can anyone help a guy out here?thanks Eric, Martinsville Indiana

[/quote]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
A buddy of mine who knows these engines pretty good says to check your float bowl levels. Says he's seen this happen before and that was the problem. He says they are usually set to high.

Hope this helps sounds like it could be a b#[email protected] to track down otherwise.

Good Luck!

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

1 - 7 of 7 Posts