Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going out to all you RXL fanatics: Help is needed in picking out the correct helix i'm thinking installing a progressive helix that is 40-36 as my original one is 36 degrees and is presently SHOT.My only modification to the sled is a gear change and it is now geared at 23 teeth on the top sprocket and 40 on the bottom. This is very close to the original 20/35 ratio. There is a blue primary spring in it now, maroon colored secondary spring and 10 AL weights in the primary. This original set up was working well but clutch would stick now and then on the secondary because of the helix being worn out. Any info or advice on changing from 36 degree helix to 40/36 degree helix would be appreciated. [8D]

·
Registered
482 Posts
The best thing to do would be to buy a clutch kit that is set up for both clutches, D&D, black magic, EPI, you name it... theres a lot of them out there. Say that you throw a diff helix in there, you may get adverse results, or it may be great. But generally speaking with a primary and secondary clutch kit most owners have 90% satisfaction. The primary is the one that makes you faster out of the hole, the secondary helps you shift out and widen your powerband, so you can pull harder say from 10-60 mph rather than 20-40 stock (for example) The way that the secondary works is that when the drive clutch revs it throws the belt to the outside, and then the secondary will adjust and let the belt ride to the inside, creating higher rpm on the drive shaft.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts