Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK first off I would like to say I am not much of a computer guy but here's what I have.... I have a HP pavilion dv5000 laptop and it has been running slow so I reinstalled windows xp with the CD that came with the computer and I did everything the manual says to do then I reinstalled the device drivers and other software with another CD that came with the PC but now it will not connect to the internet every time I try it says limited or no connectivity... and when I click the repair button it says it can't change the IP adress so I thought what better to do than come to a site full of sledders to see if they can help me out lol hopefully one of you works with computers because I sure dont

·
Registered
622 Posts
check the below in order then report back:

1. Open internet explorer->Tools->internet options->Connecitons->Lan Settings->ensure Automaice decetion is selected.
2. Start->Settings->Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Ensure it is turned off(can block connection if you have an antivirus and are using a router aswell, you can have too much firewall protection)
3. Reset your cable modem->Reset your Router if one is present

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got two other laptops connected and all our phones still work just fine on it... I finally connected this PC to Ethernet cable and am downloading a newer version of windows xp right now

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Sounds like the drivers for the wifi module on the laptop are corrupted.

Uninstalling the drivers and having the computer find and reinstall them might solve the problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have accidently bumped the switch on the side om my laptop that turns the radio off. Felt kinda dopey when I figured it out.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol I wish it were that simple... I uninstalled and re installed the driver for the wlan and still no luck I got it online with an Ethernet cable and tried to download updates which didn't help so I think I'm just gonna end up taking it somewhere....I guess some things should be left to the pros[thumb]

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
Find your network device and make sure the TCP/IP and DNS configurations are set to "automatic".

You need to find your network adapter in control panel, right click on it, hit properties, look for "internet protocol v4" or TCP/IPv4, click on that, press properties and those options should be in there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you go to "Start" and type "cmd" this will bring up a DOS like black box. Type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes)this will give us the IP, Gateway, Subnet mask, etc. Also if you can type "nslookup" it query's the DNS, which can potentially show us additional information. At this point there are several things that could be causing this. Firewall; within Windows, your antivirus, router, or your ISP. Good luck with this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts