Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Santa's Little Helpers,

I got tired of winning all the races and decided to try a long track on my 96 ultra. I have yet to install it. I just received it today. I picked up a 2006 RMK 144 suspension for $450 complete. I say I got lucky. Not only that, I picked up a 2006 RMK take out new 151 x 2" camoplast paddle Polaris track for $350. I also picked up the rail extensions for a smokin $80.and the tunnel ext was $100. It took 5 days to get it from US to here in Canada. I found it all at Tracks USA try http://www.tracksusa.Com

Mountain set up. Some cool stuff but pricie, the 8" wheels are so cool snow won't stick to them. http://www.fabcraft.com/index.php

I was looking into what drivers and gears to run but never got that far. The track I ordered is a full open window so I could run extravert drivers. I need some help with the set up and any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'll post some pics soon.

Plan B : Call SLP. http://www.startinglineproducts.com/

Thank you,

Have a Great Day!!

Bradley

·
Registered
77 Posts
you also need rear drop brackets
your front mount will be down and back 1" to 1.5"
remember raising the rear increases ski pressure so drop brackets with several settings is best so you can get the right combination of weight transfer
is the cooler on the side or the rear of that ultra ?
if it is on the rear you might want to move it back also

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cal67
Talked with Jim at SLP He said 7 tooth drivers to give just bairly enough clearance for air . Apparently an 8 tooth will fit but not enough room for air to displace creating a hold back againt paddles. Also 7 tooth needed to drop 2 teeth of bottom gear. 8 tooth use same gearing but need to cut front end of slides due to interfearance with drivers. I was also reading and found it was posable to use the stock holes.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
your not going to be able to use the stock holes. I did this to my 99 rmk and had to move it back 1.5" if you go 2 teeth down with 7 tooth drivers your going to be geared really low. I think to low but thats just me. I will also be putting an 05 900 rmk suspension under my 96 ultra. took it out of my 99 rmk which is the same tunnel. the IQ tunnels are not as wide as the wedge and edge so you will have make some spacers to fit between your brackets on your tunnel and your suspension shafts. also you will have to use your old shafts out of your ultra to make it the right width. this means that you will have to make some new ones to fit as all of the shafts out of your ultra arnt the same dia. as the IQ's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks WY Rider,
I agree dropping 2 teeth is way to drastic. I hope this is not looking like a major overhaul but if I have to open up the front end of the tunnel as in re fabricating the space it will be. I was at a sled parts store and found an 8 tooth extravert driver will work as long as the highest lug is no more than 2". I also took off the trailing arms and brought them to the machine shop to extend spindles 3". Can I do that to get more clearance under the front end or is that too much? They will be working on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
as long as the bulkhead holes (where the steering rods go through are big enough. I tryed to but some larger shocks on my ultra but they were to big and the steering rods hit the bulkhead before they were even mounted. but extending the spindles should be ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again WY Rider,

Looking at profiles now and e-mailed who I thought was Avatar but messed up I think It was suspose to be to Kuskokid now he will think I'm totaly lost. He's right.

All I really need to know is there anyone with a 2' paddle in a gen II wedge chassis and what the set up is. Drivers and gear ratio.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ok Trix,

This is what I had in my 1997 Ultra SPX SE: 136" xtra-10 rails with extensions to make 144". Dropped the front and rear 1.5". Look up in the tunnel and you can see the holes in the front, made the rear brackets out of aluminum. I did not push the suspension back at all.

Removed the tunnel protectors and slipped in a 144" x 2" Camoplast. I cannot remember if I left the 9-tooth drivers in there or not.

On my '99 xcr-800, I dropped the front and back 1.5", extended the 121" out to 144", installed 1.25" track with 1.325" Woody's studs and have no problems with hte ski tips and 8-tooth extroverts. I have no idea why there is "interference", but I have never had any difficulties at all, and my rail tips look really good.

Going to a 7-tooth is extreme. Left it a 8-tooth and you'll be fine.
Extension is easy, remove seat/tank and rivet it in.

Drop brackets are easy as pie. Get yourself some 1/8" (4mm) aluminum plate and make some plates, and then bend another into an angle to reinforce the part of the bracket that extends below the tunnel. Remember to use 1/4" (8mm) stainless lockbolt rivets and it'll never come loose.

Going from 9-tooth drivers to 8-tooth will bring you down enough you won't need to worry about gearing.

Anything else?

I have a set of 136" xtra-10 rails I had thought about installing and extending it out to 151", but I didn't want to deal with all that track. If I was going to go that route, I would do a drop and roll and go up to 10-tooth extros and 10" wheels out back, getting real serious.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
ya a drop n'roll will help with clearance problems

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You ALL. TheKuskokid & roughrider99, I'll try that setup and let ya know how things go. Have a Merry Christmas !

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Drop and roll is expensive.
If you need to save a few bucks in the process,
look to 8 tooth drivers.
The smaller drivers should also give about a 10% reduction in final drive gearing and that will be a huge help in turning that bigger track

1 - 11 of 11 Posts