Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a better home method to getting the stock stickers off your hood besides your fingernail ???????????

·
Registered
666 Posts
Blow dryer, Propain torch from no closer than 8 or so inches, both require you to use a fresh super ultra sharp razor blade to help peal the decal off.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The way I do it is: I go and get my wifes hair dryer. I heat a small area until it's hot to the touch, then lift one corner and ever so slowly start pulling straight back(not up). the slower you go the more the glue will stay with the sticker itself. continue pulling while heating. It may take a few tries to get the hang of it but you'll get it in no time. I usually use wd-40 or acetone(fingernail polish remover) to remove any remaining adhesive.

There is also A lot of topics about this if you want other opinions. Just use the search function.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gasoline also works to get off the leftover sticky junk (USE CAREFULLY) and I also found out the other day that "Orange Clean" (basically citrus based oven cleaner) gets it off REALLY well.

What are you taking off? Stock graphics or other stickers you put on?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Originally posted by butcher_boy
[br]The way I do it is: I go and get my wifes hair dryer. I heat a small area until it's hot to the touch, then lift one corner and ever so slowly start pulling straight back(not up). the slower you go the more the glue will stay with the sticker itself. continue pulling while heating. It may take a few tries to get the hang of it but you'll get it in no time. I usually use wd-40 or acetone(fingernail polish remover) to remove any remaining adhesive.

There is also A lot of topics about this if you want other opinions. Just use the search function.
That exactly what i do! But no wife!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
use a heat gun i manage a detail shop and thats what we use it works really good just hold it lose enuf till the stickes heat up than peel with uour finger after you get a corner going pull slowly and the whole sticker should come up easy but becarefull dont hold it close fot two long it can melt things .

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Here's how you do it. Heat up the edges of it. Pull those up. Find a carbonated drink ( pepsi usually does the trick ), and then heat it up 5-10 minutes later with the blow dryer. Next step. Slowly peel it. The carbonation helps unhook the goo. Or, if you want to go to walmart, GOO-GONE

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have removed a lot decals in my days.The best way to do it is use a hair dryer or embossing heat gun.For a scraping tool use a piece of and old slide.It works great.It doesnt leave a mark or damage the hood.Just heat a small area ofthe decals at a time and scrap them with the slide.To get the left over residue off use a Goo Gone. Goodluck! Trav

·
Registered
347 Posts
Everything everyone's said, except for the nail polish remover. I've seen that stuff take apart clear coat finishes, not right away but over a couple weeks it can make a mess. Just my $0.02.

Spence

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i knew the whole heating it up part ... its just that when i heat it up there no inbetween ... its either breaks so i heat it up a little more then the sticker pulls apart ... and im using my gf blow dryer

·
Registered
347 Posts
Keep the hair dryer on it while your pulling, you may want to get some gloves on for this. I get the decals damn hot and then peel away, slow and steady.

Spence

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hair dryer is a much better choice than a Heat Gun. Heat gun will work, but if you are not careful, you can do a lot of damage.

Hair dryer will get you the results you want. WD-40 will take off the residue.

Bulldog

1 - 13 of 13 Posts