Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha Exciter 440 that says "Exciter" on the front, not "EX440".
Can anyone give me an idea of what year it is or how I would figure out what year this sled is? It is white with a red seat and red stripes.

Thanks in advance!

-Dylan

·
Registered
352 Posts
have any pics of it?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I believe it was manufactured from 1976 until 1981. They started off red/white and ended up black. They were built on the GPX chassis.

You should be able to figure out the year from the vin number. There is usually a letter that indicates the year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I do have a picture of the sled:

http://www.buffalonet.com/Fun_Stuff/exciter1.jpg

I also have the serial number, it is: 463166A
It has some french writing on the label but says in english: MADE IN JAPAN

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. the machine next to the exciter is my 1979 Kawasaki Drifter 440 that still runs great!

-Dylan

·
Registered
352 Posts

wow thats one of the old Exciters! i would guess a 70s model...but like the other guys said check the vin number...the last 4 digets should be the year...i knew it was like that on the Polaris but wasnt sure about Yamaha.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If that "A" is the model year then it would probably make it a 1977. The dealer should be able to confirm it for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1977 eh? I'll take your advice and double check with a dealer. Any idea if there are parts available for this sled? I need a carb intake boot as the one on it is leaking.

Any idea what its worth in fair to good working condition? It runs pretty good but I dont want to really stretch it until I get the intake boot replaced. I picked it up from a local farmer and he said it was sitting in his barn for about 3-4 years. Was $600USD too much to pay for a starter sled for my wife?

Thanks for the info!

-Dylan

P.S. I am looking for a hood for the 1979 Kawasaki Drifter I mentioned before that is my sled. Also, what do you guys recommend for a starter sled for 8-9 yr old boys? Any experience with "Junior" sleds?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I started my 8 year old on a 81 enticer 340

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An Enticer 340 would be nice. I usually just drive around the farmlands in my area and look at whats out in front yards. What is a ballpark price for an older used sled that still runs?

P.S> Mean Green, I have friends in brautiful downtown Elyria Ohio, I go see their band play at the MAple Inn or the Train Station occasionally.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dylan, No Way. thats too cool. What Band? Also,I may have a source for the hood I'll get back to you on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paul Pope from the 70's band Molkie Cole is a friend of mine. He also plays with Phil James from Molkie Cole in a band called Outta Dodge. Ever hear of any of those bands? I'm showing my age I know. 9-)

Let me know what you hear on the Drifter 440 Hood.

-Dylan

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well Dylan I see from the Pope website that you are Pope's NY. promoter haha.I work with Dawn Pope, [paul's sis in law I think] And Pat, formerly from Outta Dodge. Small world is'nt it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! SMALL WORLD INDEED!!!
Dawn is Paul's brother Elvis's wife.
I think Pat is Pat Beckwith who did sound or lights or something for the Outta Dodge band. Did you ever see them play the Labor Day bash in the park in Lorain?

Let me know if you have a line on a hood for the drifter, I can pick it up next time I'm visiting Elyria.

-Dylan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts