Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my friend has his 98 mxz 670 at my house and I was riding it and it was running perfect. I parked it in my yard and today when I went to start I thought the recoil was broken somehow because I could just pull it out with my pinky. Then I looked under the hood and the spark plugs had a whole bunch of oil leaking out of where they screw into the head. So I took them off (they were tightened) and the whole thread was just black with oil. So I`m thinkin the reason why there is no resistance when I pull it is because theres no compression in the cylinders which = blown motor. How could of this happened? There was oil in the sled (obviously) I didn`t ride it hard at all..and when you blow an engine you cant keep riding it just bogs down..but the last time I rode it it ran perfect until I parked it! So I dont know what happened..unless it IS the recoil but I highly doubt it. How much does a 670 engine cost because I have a feeling im gonna be buying one..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Pull off the belt and spin the crank with the clutch. If you can see the pistons moving then pull apart your recoil. Even with no compression you would feel the resistance. I would put money on the recoil

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
There should still be some resistance. Alot more than just pulling it over with your finger... You can do the field test to see if you really did blow it up, Take out the plug of the cylinder you thought you blew, and stick your finger in it, then pull it over, if it doesn't blow your finger out of the whole, then your screwed. Also look at the plugs if they have knicks in them, or a silvery glaze to them, that is also a red flag. Also if there was a hole then it probably would not be filling up with so much gas/oil that it actually come up through the threads of the plug. I think you've really over shot the problem. I would start with smaller things like checking your plugs etc.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Oh yeah, i forgot the true problem, you can't get it to connect and pull it over right? Check out your recoil like smokeymacpot suggested.

·
Registered
837 Posts
its the recoil, look at the primary clutch and if that doesn't move when you pull it then the recoul is not engaugeing, the only other thing it could be is that the crank broke right between the 2 mag bearings, and i highly highly doubt that, you will ahve to take the pipe off and get a allen wrench i think a 5 or 6 mm and a 10mm opened end wrench and undo the big bank clamp aroung the recoil and it whould come out, take a look you may have broken the plastic engaugement tooth

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 98 670 and oil on the plug theads is normal. These sleds need perodic cleaning of the recoil starter mechanism.The grease used to lubricate the moving parts inside the recoil housing attracts dirt and will eventually become tacky. When this happens the starter pawl will not pivot out and engage the starter pulley.The colder it is the more likely this can occure. Some times a quick jerk on the starter rope can get it to engage and get you going in a pinch but a good cleaning and relubing is in order.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I second HOrider, found out first hand last month. '96 670.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts