Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry to say my 1990 indy 500 sh$$ the bed last wknd. ( more on this later)

here is my question:
I am considering buying a used 2001,2002 Polaris Edge. How many miles is considered high? 1000,2000????

since I have only ridden polaris, any suggestion from non polaris owners as to other machines to consider?

I really dont want to spend any more time and $$$ on the indy and would rather put the $ toward something newer and more reliable.

thoughts?

thanks
Gary

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
What type of riding do you do? Cross-country, trail, mountain?
Was your current 500 quick enough for you?

The new 500 XC's are very fast, I love my '99, and the newer ones have VES which is supposed to make a big difference.

Most guys and gals around here will try to talk you into a 6 or 700, but I love the 5's, mostly for the fuel mileage, but was out last weekend with a guy on a F7 Firecat EFI, and we got identical mileage.

The Edge chassis ride very nice.

Do you know ne1 with somehting newer you could try out?
Nothing like just getting on a going for a rip.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
the new ves twins are increadible.. it will be like day and night if you get a new one. i think they figure 1000 miles a year is average or somethn, but the low snow the last few years puts a lota sleds with pretty low miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
500fasEnuf,
I ride mostly in NH, a combination of trails which consist of rail-road beds and also power lines which get pretty bumpy somtimes. B4 the 500 blew up, we were going further north to some nice wide open groomed trails. but some of what we ride is narrow twisty trails as well.

One of the guys I ride with has an 800 which I should be able to take a rip on, and he loves the Edge chassis and raves about the ride.

As far as CC's, I was considering 800, only cause my 500 was fast enough, but lacked the power and punch off the line. A 500 is not out of the question since the cost savings is a factor right now.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
they're all good sleds...it just depends on the ergonomics of 1 particular one. I do agree w/ 500fasEnuf, everyone will try to make you get a bigger sled. The best (in my opinion) is 500 to 600 cc's. Good all around power but doesn't suck too much gas...also lighter. And remember...a 500 now-a-days will tear up a 500 from only 4-5 years ago. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 600 class, simply because I think it's the perfect blend of power / weight / fuel economy. All of the mfg's make great sleds nowadays, and any newer sled will be an upgrade from a 1990 Indy 500 (nothing against them, they were great sleds).

And if you're looking for punch off the line, a properly tuned 600 with a clutch kit and studs will feel like it's going to pull your arms out of their sockets.[:0]

Good luck with your search!!!

-Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for some things to think about. still trying to justify the $$$. getting lots of pressure from my riding buddies, so will be donating blood and selling everything else. [:)]

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
It also depends on who you ride with, and how fast they go, if your buddy on the 800 cruises along at 90 - 100 mph down the lakes all the time, then yes you will not be in any danger of locking skis with him on a 5 or 600.

On winding twisty trails my little 500 XC is super easy and fun to throw around in the corners and I feel really comfortable on it.
I have never been left behind the pack, but I ride pretty aggressively.

Mike XLT is on the money though, the 600 is the biggest class in snowmobiling ever since the big twins came out.

If I were looking for a machine right now, I might lean towards a 600, if I didn't already love my 500.

I would definitely go for the edge chassis if you can afford it, but the Xtra-10 would still be miles ahead of what you are used to for ride quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts