Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting back into sledding after 5 years. I was a die hard Cat man and loved the triples. But now I bought a used 97 Polaris touring 500 for my wife and I and when I bought it, a week ago, it it ran great. But I jacked up the back on the stand and left it until today. I tried to start it and it was flooded. I did have the gas shut off but found that the shut off doesn't work. After I got it started it only would run on one cylinder. I know I was getting spark to both plugs or at least I think I do. The plug that wasn't firing I pulled the wire and get a heck of a shock.I switched plugs and still no fire on that cylinder. HELP...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
could be that your needle in the carb for the cylinder that isnt firing could have dirt on it, thats whats flooded motors for me before, and if it is getting spark is it getting gas?? if not clean your carbs and it should fix it right up.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
agreed on the above statment i bet you arnt getting any gas in that cylender...i would do a quick carb clean and off you go again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it running on one cylinder and parked it on a hill with the skis up and the track down the hill. It started and ran great on two in about 2 hours. Like I said the gas shut off doesn't work. Maybe I need a new needle and seat?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yeah its always good to replace the needles and seats when anykind of flooding while sitting is occuring. but for future refrence if you look below the exaust on the front of the motor there are 2 10mm head bolts, that if you remove will drain out the crank case when flooded out.just be sure to use a medium thread locker when reinstalling to make sure no air leaks occur.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts