Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first of all I have a two snow tires from my dads old oldsmobile. Now what I need to know is if these will fit my nissan. They have different numbers but are close in size and have the same lugs on them. The two snows are on their own set of rims, all I really need to know is if they will work on my car and if it is okay to put on tires that have slightly different numbers.

I also have a set of regular tires that are from the oldsmobile.

P185/75R14- Studded Snow tire with rims
P185/75R14- Regular tire on rims
205/65R15- Currently on the Nissan all the way around.

Also the Speed rating on the tires are
89S- on the snow tires but before the rest of the numbers
94T- above the first three digits on the nissan

Along with the nissan's regular tires, above the last few digits on the tire in M&S. What does it mean?

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
As long as the rims fit the tire sizes dont matter. Just keep same sizes for front and same for back. A lot of new cars come with different size tires front and back. Ive ran 185/60/14 up front and 235/80/15 in rear on my Pontiac Parisienne.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The 185/75R14s will be slightly narrower and about 1/2 inch shorter than the 205/65R15s. The first number refers to the width of the tire. The second number refers to the height, as a percentage of width. Your speedometer will be off by less than 3%, but otherwise it should be fine.

89S and 94T are load and speed ratings. The letters are the speed ratings and the numbers are the load ratings. So, a 89S tire is rated for slightly less load and less speed than a 94T.

89S - 1279lb, 112 mph
94T - 1477lb, 118 mph

I forgot what the M&S is all about.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Rim size is different won't work at all.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Rim size is different won't work at all.
You will have to check to see if the 14" rims clear your brakes. If they do, and the bolt pattern is the same, there is no reason they will not work. People put different size rims on cars all the time. In fact, some cars came with different size rims as options.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by jdzaharia
You will have to check to see if the 14" rims clear your brakes. If they do, and the bolt pattern is the same, there is no reason they will not work.
I forgot one thing. The back spacing needs to be the same between the two rims, also, or at least close. If both rims are off of front wheel drive cars, they should be close.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by jdzaharia
[br]
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Rim size is different won't work at all.
You will have to check to see if the 14" rims clear your brakes. If they do, and the bolt pattern is the same, there is no reason they will not work. People put different size rims on cars all the time. In fact, some cars came with different size rims as options.
They usually go bigger rim, smaller lo/pro tire, not smaller rim.

The nissan we had had no room to go smaller rim size. WE went to a P205/75/15ms.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for all the replies, but it turns out that the front calipers don't clear the inner part of the rim. So my mom has some snows off of our mini van that she won't be using this year so I'll be using them instead.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I was going to say, if your car has ABS you CANNOT put different sized rims on it or the ABS will not work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts